I have a tranny question... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a tranny question...

Hi guys...

I am working on an explorer v8 swap into a ranger... I am currently hunting for an engine... I found a guy who has one that he is willing to sell... from a 2000 explorer... with 10,x.. miles on it... looks to be in decent shape... he said the truck was AWD (is there a difference between AWD and 4WD? I didnt know ford gave you the option... or is it basicly the same?) On the tailshaft of the tranny is the transfer case (ofcouse I dont need that)... here's my question... if I pull off the transfer case will I need to find a new tailshaft (I'm guessing yes)... if so, what do I get, and where do I find it?

Also a friend of mine brought something up to me... he said that the AWD tranny is not the same as a normal AOD or AODE tranny... could someone clarify this for me? I'm not totally sure exactly what I am looking for but I'm assuming that I would want a 4 speed AODE... Rite? I have included some pics below... maybe you guys can tell me what I'm looking at!

Thanks,
Donnie

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

more pictures here:
Dead Link Removed
Tell me what you think of the motor... looks to be in decent shape!

I wish I could help but I can't, I will add to your problems.

Think about the computer, if it is looking for all wheel drive will the manual four wheel drive screw it up ?

Just something to think about !

:usa: :chug: :ca:

:banghead:

The tranny in the Explorer is an AODE or actually a 4R70W tranny. It is no different than a 2wd tranny other than the output shaft and the tailhousing. If you use this tranny, you have 2 options first make it an allwheel drive or second oreder the AA kit to mount your existing BW1354 behind it. If you use the tranny you also need all the wiring and the computer of which it looks like you already have. That tranny has electronic kick down and lock up so if the rest of the system isn't used the tranny fails to work properly and fails prematurely.

Back