I have no od and or cruise control. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have no od and or cruise control.

keeprollin

Reaction score
City, State
Apex NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4
Hi I recently bought a 94 explorer xlt 4x4. I new it had trans problems when I bought it thought maybe it would be an easy fix. The problem I having is this There is no over drive but all other gears work. I also have no cruise control. The guy I bought it from also said that in order for the trans to shift under load is to let off the gas a little then it would shift. But I have read alot in the fourms here. Also when you select overdrive the engine idles down like it does in any other gear like its getting ready to pull but when you give it gas it just doesnt go if you are on a incline it will just start to roll backwards.Like its in N and not od. I have changed both solenoids in the valve body cleaned it out.put new seperator plate gaskets on. New fluid and filter. I also adjusted the bands. But still no over drive. I used my code reader and only got egr valve code which I intend to change. I dont have a trans code reader though. I want to change the od servo but just wanted some more input on what to try next if the servo doesnt do the trick. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea I heard about the other areas that help control shifts. I havent tried that yet thanks. Do you think I should try that before the servo?

Thanks I will check that out tomorrow and see if that will do the trick. If it doesnt I know where I can come find out more useful tips and info. Thanks

Still no od

Hi I checked the vss today and just to be on the safe side I replaced it but still no overdrive. I also forgot to mention that when you put it in od and give it gas after it doesnt pull. When you put it in another gear it wont pull you have to put it in N or P for about 2 seconds then put it in R or drive then it pulls fine. Just weird. So you cant stop on od and give it gas or let it stay in od for awhile or the other gears do the same thing the od is doing. But as long as you go right to R or drive it does fine. What should I try next?

Well I dont have a trans scanner but I did check with my engine scanner and only got a egr valve code.

The same scanner would show solenoid codes. There are other sensors which control, and cancel overdrive, such as the TPS, and the brake on/off switch (which cancels overdrive, and cruise). Did you check all of your fuses?

Yes all the fuses have been checked. I will go back and try my scanner again to see if I mised something or if I get any new codes Then ill let you know what I find. Thanks

I think you have internal mechanical faults in the transmission. From original post
Also when you select overdrive the engine idles down like it does in any other gear like its getting ready to pull but when you give it gas it just doesnt go if you are on a incline it will just start to roll backwards.Like its in N and not od.
When starting from a stop, the transmission should be in 1st gear, and the EEC-IV system has nothing to do with what is happening in 1st gear. For that matter, the electronic controls have nothing to do with 2nd or 3rd gear either. If it's slipping in 1-3, then the problem is mechanical.
Unless I've misunderstood something, I don't think you're going to find the problem in the engine management system.
Does it only slip in the OD position, or does it also slip in D, 2, or 1 positions? It's been too long since I've looked at the troubleshooting tables in my A4LD manual, but it seems like "forward gears work fine in D, but no forward gears in OD" pointed to certain faults.

Hi,
I'm thinking your Cruise and O.D. issues may not be as related as you may think. I replaced my tranny this winter only to find no O.D., or cruise control, so upon investigation I found that I had forgotten to plug in my electronic speed sensor (located right next to the cable driven speedo @ the back of the transfer case) So this may have somthing to do with your cruise problem. However before I plugged it back in the truck still had 1,2,3 gears even in the O.D. position.
So the speed sensor may be a problem, but even if it is bad I don't think, you would loose all forward gears when you select O.D.
Sounds like the tranny may have some bigger problems.

Well let me see if I can clear things up a little.Overdrive doesnt engage like its supposed to you put it in gear and you feel it grip but when you apply gas it doesnt pull. In R d1 d2 and D the trans will pull fine unless you try OD first then D D1 D2 and R wont pull unless you put it in park or N for a second or two. Then go back to R D1 D2 or D and they work fine again. I did try my tester again and came up with another code 538 insufficent rpm. What could this be?

KOER 538 means the computer didn't see the "goose" test. This is almost always the operator's fault, because he neglected to "goose" the engine when told to.

What you are describing is not going to be an electrical fault. Something is wrong inside the transmission. Beyond that, I don't have any experience diagnosing this kind of transmission fault.

Back