I have searched this site for 1.5 hrs and need tranny experts help... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have searched this site for 1.5 hrs and need tranny experts help...

I'm glad there's more discussion about lubing slip yokes. The other threads are useful at locating the slip yoke and so forth (like pics Robert posted about his clamps he used). But even so I am not sure about it how easy it is to "pull it [the driveshaft] apart". Once you've got the 4 flange bolts undone, and the one-time use clamps removed, you're still not there. The rubber shield over the slip yoke is still there. Can it be "pushed" out of the way on the driveshaft, allowing for access to the slip yoke itself? Do you actually physically pull the driveshaft apart at that portion of the driveshaft? How easily does the driveshaft come loose at the slip yoke? I guess it would be easier to understand once I had done it. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rhett- 1.yes. 2.yes 3.easily

It really is an easy job.

All right. Thx Jason_25. I just am paranoid about not lining up the flange and driveshaft properly when reassembling! I'll try to mark it so that doesn't happen.

Latest Update:

The new modulator is in but since it is adjustable I think the shifts are firm enough that it may be causing this clunking. I had the driveshaft looked at, dropped and reinspected and he said it looked A OK. The tranny fluid was really high which I thought may be a reason for this clunking but the mechanic said it wouldn't cause it. I'm going to empty the remote until the level is right and see if it doesn't correct it.

Next update-

Removed excess tranny fluid through remote filter and now reads perfect. Out of curiosity I crawled under the X to check the vacuum hose connection on the mod valve (OK) and found that one of the bolts on the tranny pan was sticking out sideways. I backed it out and reinstalled flush to pan.

Now could that have been letting in air and created some air pocket that is screwing me and my trans by altering the fluid pressure? How do I bleed if so?

Come to think of it, the new modulator did NOT come with a washer, does that pose a problem at all? The mechanic would either replace it or hopefully use a new one.

I hope some of you guys are gaining something out of this. It is consuming me to get it running right again...

PS- Lo and behold my 500th post!

Ain't that just the way

The guy that gets a free rebuild kit has a mechanic install the vacuum modulator. Have no idea what washer you are talking about. Unless, the mechanic lost the bracket that holds the VM in and used a large washer instead. B94Sport reported his clunk went away after he replaced the low/reverse seals.

Opera,

I haven't received the overhaul kit, I have to drive 30 mins to get it. And I needed the vac mod in ASAP to solve the tranny prob and I just felt more comfortable letting my mechanic do it since I never have. Believe me, I enjoy DIY projects and the satisfaction of when it goes right.

According to the TSB on low/reverse servo the pic shows the servo but I can't tell the orientation. Do I need to just drop the pan and I'll see it or do I have to go the next step and snag a manual? I have seen a valve body out with all those little balls and such, I would hate to screw that up. I also looked at B94's thread titled "Weekend Project Planned" and he replaced it for the reverse clunking. I don't have that type of clunking but will do the hill test you recommend and report.

Thanks for your help and replies.

PS I will double check the modulator this weekend while I have time.

And the very latest:

Drove out to DesPlaines, IL to pick up the overhaul kit this morning. First time the X has been on the highway since the vac mod replacement. All is going fine in OD until about 50-55mph when it wants to drop into 4th and I feel like it is searching/hunting for the gear. It is a very noticeable shimmying/vibration as its doing this. So I eased off the gas and dropped down to 3rd/D and stayed there the entire 30 mile trip.

No problems accelerating in and out of OD/D EXCEPT when I get to that damn highway speed and OD kicks in(or tries to anyway). This sounds like I am a candidate for two of the atcdg.com TSBs on the A4LD regarding no 4th and 3-4-3 hunting.

So much for hope. I'm all ears...

Got the tranny rebuilt and all of my problems are gone. I had a lot of torque converter shavings in the pan and a healthy front seal leak when it went in. Everything is back to normal and thanks to everyone who responded and helped out.

Back