I have to replace the A/C compressor on my 91 Ford Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have to replace the A/C compressor on my 91 Ford Explorer.

drdave123

Reaction score
City, State
Norristown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Wellllll........Here it is, folks.......My A/C compressor on my 1991 Explorer seems to be SNAFU, and word has it it needs to be replaced. My wife was coming home the other day and there was a "groaning" sound, accompanied by a smell. When she shut off the A/C, it stopped the offending problems. The A/C has been giving me fits (cycling and cooling for a bit, then I would get diminished to no A/C at all. If I would shut it off, it would once again work, and it would seem to run for a extended period of time, then start the b/s all over again.
My question, how hard IS it to replace the compressor and then do the subsequent A/C re-charge ??......And, what kind of ballpark figure would you think it would cost to have it done??.....(my mechanic IS VERY reputable, reliable and stand-up kind of guy)

And, would I be out of line to ask him to use a re-built compressor ?

ALL input is welcome. Thank you.

Dave

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Blessed as some people are, I unfortunately am learning slowly but surely the "How-To"'s on vehicle repair. I now live in a highly urban area that is not conducive to the art of "vehicle repair".......LOL

When I can, I make the 1 hour drive to my brother's place to use HIS tools.
But, once again, time is NOT always on my side.......:(

If I knew what to do and had the where-with-all, and the time, I would be doing it.........
I feel kind of stupid asking the question that I did, but I just wanted to get a feel for what is going on with my Explorer.
BTW.......My 1991 Explorer has 178,000 plus on it....Still runs well, but I guess no part lasts forever.........:D

Thank you for your kind reply.............Rest assured that it is GREATLY appreciated.
Please don't give up on me.......LOL..........I will be asking more questions.

God bless, and if you have any other thoughts, PLEASE reply again........I'll be looking forward to it.

Dave

Back