I Installed Tip-Tronic Shift In My '14 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I Installed Tip-Tronic Shift In My '14 Sport

Quicksilver

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal the OC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Well, not so much but I did figure out a way to make it *ACT* like the Tippy shifters in the Volkswagon/Audi cars:D For the last 10+ years my DD cars have had the TipTronic, last car that I gave up for the ExSpt was a V10 twin turbo Touareg. I miss the 553 lbsft of torque but I *REALLY* miss the tippy feature. Most of the time I drive left hand at 12o'clock on the wheel and right hand on the shifter. Doing this when in Manual shift mode, the paddle is not convienient for upshifts:dunno:. So today at 2814 miles on the ODO, I had an epiphany that has upped the fun factor and keeps the motor in the RPM range so boost is always available:thumbsup:. As you all know, left in D mode around town the trans/motor loafs along in 6th way to early:(

Anyway, here's the Tippy trick to keep it in the sweet spot. Put the trans in M, keep your right hand on the shifter with the button depressed,it's already depressed while in M but if you don't hold it in, it pops out when shifting. Start out in 1 and when you hit AT LEAST 3K RPMS, bump the shifter into D, then keeping the button depressed, pull it right back into M. Do both moves within .5 second and it goes up just one gear. Lather rinse repeat for each gear. Works perfect, I'm happy I have my TipTronic back:burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, not so much but I did figure out a way to make it *ACT* like the Tippy shifters in the Volkswagon/Audi cars:D For the last 10+ years my DD cars have had the TipTronic, last car that I gave up for the ExSpt was a V10 twin turbo Touareg. I miss the 553 lbsft of torque but I *REALLY* miss the tippy feature. Most of the time I drive left hand at 12o'clock on the wheel and right hand on the shifter. Doing this when in Manual shift mode, the paddle is not convienient for upshifts:dunno:. So today at 2814 miles on the ODO, I had an epiphany that has upped the fun factor and keeps the motor in the RPM range so boost is always available:thumbsup:. As you all know, left in D mode around town the trans/motor loafs along in 6th way to early:(

Anyway, here's the Tippy trick to keep it in the sweet spot. Put the trans in M, keep your right hand on the shifter with the button depressed,it's already depressed while in M but if you don't hold it in, it pops out when shifting. Start out in 1 and when you hit AT LEAST 3K RPMS, bump the shifter into D, then keeping the button depressed, pull it right back into M. Do both moves within .5 second and it goes up just one gear. Lather rinse repeat for each gear. Works perfect, I'm happy I have my TipTronic back:burnout:

This is so much unnecessary wear on your shift lever =P ... Most professional race cars and super cars have moved to paddle shifters because it allows drivers to keep both hands on the wheel (where when driving at speeds both hands should be). You're digressing your driving patterns.

This is so much unnecessary wear on your shift lever =P ... Most professional race cars and super cars have moved to paddle shifters because it allows drivers to keep both hands on the wheel (where when driving at speeds both hands should be). You're digressing your driving patterns.
this is kinda what I thought when reading this . I felt like I should have a degree from MIT or Harvard to understand this process . this makes me think of all the times I have heard " I wish they made it standard instead of just automatic " . I always say the same thing....almost all supercars are paddleshift . manual trans is getting pretty outdated . I will admit that's it's fun sometimes but I would much rather have a paddle shift...just my $.02 :D

this is kinda what I thought when reading this . I felt like I should have a degree from MIT or Harvard to understand this process . this makes me think of all the times I have heard " I wish they made it standard instead of just automatic " . I always say the same thing....almost all supercars are paddleshift . manual trans is getting pretty outdated . I will admit that's it's fun sometimes but I would much rather have a paddle shift...just my $.02 :D

not quite all supercars.....the new Porsche 911 (991) c2s/c4s still have manual trans for the diehard old guys from the 60's. I have the PDK paddle shifters on mine and it is much faster, much smoother and much more fun......but the old diehards call us sissies :)

not quite all supercars.....the new Porsche 911 (991) c2s/c4s still have manual trans for the diehard old guys from the 60's. I have the PDK paddle shifters on mine and it is much faster, much smoother and much more fun......but the old diehards call us sissies :)
yeah , I know , which is why I wrote almost all supercars . the fastest supercars are paddle shift cars . when having that much power , I would rather keep my paws on the wheel :thumbsup:

It's not that I don't ever use the paddles, they are sweet, nicely positioned and usually work perfectly, only times they've let me down is when they go up two gears with a single tap. They're also great for downshifting because my left hand is already there:D But in traffic around town where I spend a hundred or so miles a day in the first 3-4 gears, I guess I'm just gonna be wearing out my shifter, gotta do what feels right ya know:biggthump

One hand at 12 and the other on the shifter? Not really in control if you need to make an emergency maneuver that way, but it's your car so drive it however you want I guess.

One hand at 12 and the other on the shifter? Not really in control if you need to make an emergency maneuver that way, but it's your car so drive it however you want I guess.

Holy crap dude, have you EVER driven a manual vehicle in your life? I swear these overly numb driving experiences where the car does EVERYTHING for you and TOTALLY isolates you from the driving experience has turned drivers into friggin moron drones.

"OMG never drive with 1 hand on the wheel and the other on the shifter! What idiot would ever do that! That's sooooo dangerous! All manual stick shift cars should be OUTLAWED for being so reckless and poorly designed that you can't have 2 hands on the wheel at ALLLLLL time!"

Please shred your man card immediately. :salute:

Holy crap dude, have you EVER driven a manual vehicle in your life? I swear these overly numb driving experiences where the car does EVERYTHING for you and TOTALLY isolates you from the driving experience has turned drivers into friggin moron drones.

"OMG never drive with 1 hand on the wheel and the other on the shifter! What idiot would ever do that! That's sooooo dangerous! All manual stick shift cars should be OUTLAWED for being so reckless and poorly designed that you can't have 2 hands on the wheel at ALLLLLL time!"

Please shred your man card immediately. :salute:

^THIS! OMG what a bunch of ninnies on this site. I think the Prius forums are missing some of thier usual posters.:D

Oh and Riley, I have a few roadrace cars that I excercise at half dozen local tracks regulary, I'd be willing to bet that I have better vehical control with one hand than you have with both hands and both feet;):burnout:

maybe the issue is with 1 hand on the shifter, that only leaves 1 hand to control the steering wheel, iphone, and hold your mocha-loca-frappa-chino-grande-peppermint latte. lol, so in that case yes, manually shifting is a horrible dangerous idea, you clearly need the hand free for your iphone or girly-man starbucks frappe lol

Ugh. What a marry

Hell i drive with my knee to keep 2 hands free.

EDIT: Sorry Harley, I quoted the wrong person. I fixed it below.

Riley said:

How's manual shifting an auto different from manual shifting a manual transmission? Actually, manual shifting an auto would be safer as you don't have to push in the clutch peddle.

midnightsun said:
Hell i drive with my knee to keep 2 hands free.

No kidding, you can't text as fast with 1 hand on the wheel.

I don't get this technique. Like others have stated, sounds like excessive wear for no gain in anything. How does this up the "fun factor?"

Don't TipTronic manual shift modes let you downshift? If so, all you have is an upshift, no TipTronic for you.

I also wonder what the computer is thinking. :confused:

Just got back last night from a trip to Scottsdale/Pheonix to check out Barrett Jackson and "Auction Week" I didn't know that there are six going at once in the area,it's a must see with some buds even if your not bidding/buying. Anyway, Quicksilver took four adult males and their luggage the 375 mile each way trip to PHX in comfort and style,heck two of the guys are talking about dumping their brand X drivers for E Sports:D. I figured out when I most use the 'TipTronic' (yes upshift only Odra;)) feature. I generally drive in M mode in the Sand setting,probably about 85% of the time. When making a left turn starting from a stop,the upshift paddle is not in a useable spot for a left hand driver 1/2way thru the intersection right about when I want 2nd gear. To me it just feels more natural to use the shift selector for a couple upshifts there. Works for me though I have had to have two worn out shift cables replaced in my first 6k miles of driving:D

Just got back last night from a trip to Scottsdale/Pheonix to check out Barrett Jackson and "Auction Week" I didn't know that there are six going at once in the area,it's a must see with some buds even if your not bidding/buying. Anyway, Quicksilver took four adult males and their luggage the 375 mile each way trip to PHX in comfort and style,heck two of the guys are talking about dumping their brand X drivers for E Sports:D. I figured out when I most use the 'TipTronic' (yes upshift only Odra;)) feature. I generally drive in M mode in the Sand setting,probably about 85% of the time. When making a left turn starting from a stop,the upshift paddle is not in a useable spot for a left hand driver 1/2way thru the intersection right about when I want 2nd gear. To me it just feels more natural to use the shift selector for a couple upshifts there. Works for me though I have had to have two worn out shift cables replaced in my first 6k miles of driving:D

Why are you shifting in the middle of a turn, even with stick you shift before or after your turn to limit loss of control and possible loss of traction.

Also, you are stating that your vehicle has required premature maintenance due to this type of driving on multiple occasions? What part of that doesn't scream "I'm doing something wrong".

Driving in sand mode is also specifically for off-road use, it disables almost all of the safety components related to the drive, if you get in an accident, and god forbid injure someone or yourself, you should hope that no one finds this thread and can link it to you. It proves your negligence (not only that it just shows you lack the common sense necessary to drive a motor vehicle).

You'll shoot your eye out!

^THIS! OMG what a bunch of ninnies on this site. I think the Prius forums are missing some of thier usual posters.:D

Oh and Riley, I have a few roadrace cars that I excercise at half dozen local tracks regulary, I'd be willing to bet that I have better vehical control with one hand than you have with both hands and both feet;):burnout:

calm down there Tommy Toughnuts.

I also have done a fair amount of racing, mostly autocross, with a stick shift and I always had 2 hands on the wheel. Noone races with one hand on the wheel. Only time 1 hand is on the wheel is actually during a shift and that is never during a turn or stopping maneuver.

I highly doubt you have more control with 1 hand then you do with 2.

:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back