I just bought a 1993 Aerostar. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

I just bought a 1993 Aerostar.

Badblubug

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Aerostar
Well, I came across a 1993 Aerostar that’s a one owner with 28k miles.. hard to believe I know, but there it was... came from the estate of a 93 year old gent that passed, it was cheap enough and so clean and I could use the extra space for hauling stuff around so I figured why not, after reading up on these it seems most people really liked them and they are pretty reliable, curious to know what are the most common problems to watch for?
this van is a 4.0 with electronic 4x4 and an auto trans, i just took it on a 400 mile round trip and it ran flawlessly, everything works including the a/c and I can’t find anything wrong with it, and boy does it ride nice, I will change out the radio to something better
840A8571-4C31-479C-B1F9-997E2D264A18.jpeg
19BEDA98-5607-42E1-B23A-2C4B4E31B0C5.jpeg
4BCB0604-B5E9-48E5-98B4-351B0AFF120E.jpeg
3FB8F3A9-B888-4BC0-BE84-37878ADCDB92.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

zenish

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar xlt
that is nice!main thing is don't let it overheat.you might want to get the brakes bled.maybe flush the cooling system.i would add a transmission cooler.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
It's very rare to find one like this. Try to hold onto it for as long as possible. I know that parts are scarce but there are ways around that. What kind of radio do you want to install? There are radio harness adapters which are plug & play. You don't have to splice the OEM wiring.

Badblubug

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Aerostar
that is nice!main thing is don't let it overheat.you might want to get the brakes bled.maybe flush the cooling system.i would add a transmission cooler.
I plan on a coolant flush but didn’t think about the brakes.. since I don’t plan on towing with the van still recommend a trans cooler?

Badblubug

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Aerostar
It's very rare to find one like this. Try to hold onto it for as long as possible. I know that parts are scarce but there are ways around that. What kind of radio do you want to install? There are radio harness adapters which are plug & play. You don't have to splice the OEM wiring.

I put in a Bluetooth with a usb and purchased the harness

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
Keep the fluids changed at the proper service interval. The transmission is the weakest link and should have a cooler.

zenish

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar xlt
I plan on a coolant flush but didn’t think about the brakes.. since I don’t plan on towing with the van still recommend a trans cooler?
ive had two different older fords partally lose front brakes because of moisture in the fluid boiling.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

MakinJeepsWeep!

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Polk County Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 5.0L AWD
Callsign
Big Red
That thing is awesome! Congrats!

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
ive had two different older fords partally lose front brakes because of moisture in the fluid boiling.
How old were these fords? Anti lock brakes would have been useless on most older cars cause the brakes faded as soon as you used them.

Jessejp05

Reaction score
City, State
Plant city Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Wow! Thing is beautiful! Congrats!

92exp4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL 2-door and others
Nice find. That is my favorite Ford color. Brilliant blue metallic. What a nice van!

mountaineer2004

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NYS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer (AWD V8)
Beautiful. I had a 1996 Aerostar and loved it, although it was terrible in snow w/o 500 pounds of sand in the back.