I just bought a 1994 Explorer, and it won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I just bought a 1994 Explorer, and it won't start.

Wiltrek

Reaction score
City, State
HAYDEN, idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Eddie Baurer
It snowed last night and I thought great, I can try out the 4wd. However, the car would not start. It cranks fine. It seems like it is not getting fuel. It has a full tank of gas. I checked the fuel pump relay and it is OK. Are there any pattern failures with the fuel system? Where is the best place to check for fuel pressure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^^ agree.

Then check for fuel pressure at the shraeder valve near the fuel rail on top of the engine. The valve will look a bicycle valve stem and valve stem cap.

Fuel pumps are a common “failure” after about 150,000 miles.

Good luck.

Your thread was renamed & moved into the stock 1991 - 1994 Explorer section. Do you see a check engine light? If not, then the computer isn't getting power. The computer controls the fuel pump, so you need both of these things to work together.

1) Check inertia switch
2) Check relay
3) Check fuel pressure at rails via Schrader valve
4) Check voltage to pump. There is a wire harness at the rear of the gas tank, in front of the fill hose in the frame rail. That is your fuel pump and rear brake ABS wiring harness. There should be a plug in that area where you can check voltage to the pump when the key is on. I actually had the plug loosen up on my 94 and when I went check voltage it started working again because I pushed it back together.

If you are in a quiet place, you may be able to hear the pump run for a second when you turn the key to 'ON'. That would be a good clue.

I had this happen once because of water soluble stuff in the gas filter. But, I'm ahead of myself, getting a fuel pressure reading is probably your best first move.

It snowed last night and I thought great, I can try out the 4wd. However, the car would not start. It cranks fine. It seems like it is not getting fuel. It has a full tank of gas. I checked the fuel pump relay and it is OK. Are there any pattern failures with the fuel system? Where is the best place to check for fuel pressure?

Odd chance your EGR pressure sensor MAY have shorted out and killed the computer 5 volt power. That"s what happen to mine.
Simply unplug the sensor and see if it will start.

Back