• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

I just drove my Aerostar to Florida and back to Ohio!

don-ohio

Reaction score
City, State
jackson,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Aerostar extended
That's my second trip in a few months.Now has 101,500 miles. The Aerostar always runs great and rides great too! don-ohio :)^)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
What was the fuel economy on that trip? I get 21.6 mpg every time I go from phoenix to albuquerque and 24.5 from phoenix to san luis obispo, ca. I can make it without stopping for gas to either destination.

don-ohio

Reaction score
City, State
jackson,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Aerostar extended
What was the fuel economy on that trip? I get 21.6 mpg every time I go from phoenix to albuquerque and 24.5 from phoenix to san luis obispo, ca. I can make it without stopping for gas to either destination.

About 19 Josh............I drove pretty hard against a head wind all the way down. I get a check engine light if I accelerate hard like on an entrance ramp. I'm thinking maybe EGR,but on start-up sometimes I get rough idle.I shut it off and restart and its fine. Any thoughts anyone? Plugs and wiring are fairly new.
don-ohio :)^)

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
About 19 Josh............I drove pretty hard against a head wind all the way down. I get a check engine light if I accelerate hard like on an entrance ramp. I'm thinking maybe EGR,but on start-up sometimes I get rough idle.I shut it off and restart and its fine. Any thoughts anyone? Plugs and wiring are fairly new.
don-ohio :)^)

3.0 or 4.0?

don-ohio

Reaction score
City, State
jackson,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Aerostar extended
4.0 Josh...........and a very good engine just like the former Aerostar I had with 230K miles before I broke it.My fault.

Yeah,Brooklyn, I should do that. Been looking for houses and haven't taken time. don-ohio :)^)

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
Sounds to me like a dirty maf sensor. When I bought my last van it did the same thing. My van doesn't have egr but my experience with it on my 87 2.9L ranger was when it was working it advanced the timing a few more degrees but never ran bad when deleted. I just set the base timing 4 degrees higher.

don-ohio

Reaction score
City, State
jackson,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Aerostar extended
Thanks,Josh! I have to work nightshift tonight and the next three days,but I hope to get some time to check it out. don-ohio :)^)

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
Crappy milage

I get 130 miles a tank in the city. I have a complete tuneup new map ect. Idles smooth new fuel pump filter. I'm only going my trip and gauge to e before running out. My next trip is to carry a gas can and drive it until it runs out. How many mile you get in city stop go traffic. I have a 3.73 rear

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
I get 130 miles a tank in the city. I have a complete tuneup new map ect. Idles smooth new fuel pump filter. I'm only going my trip and gauge to e before running out. My next trip is to carry a gas can and drive it until it runs out. How many mile you get in city stop go traffic. I have a 3.73 rear

300 miles around phoenix. 130 miles is about 6 mpg

don-ohio

Reaction score
City, State
jackson,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Aerostar extended
I get 420 miles on the road per tank approx. That's drivng 70 mph most of the way to Florida and back. I only run Marathon if I can get it.Less ethanol,better mileage. Plus I get 25 cents a gallon discount.don-ohio :)^)

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
Thanks for the info but why shitty mpg. Everything was replaced.before I bought it from the original owner they gave me the receipt. My only other thought is the awd not working correctly. They has the sencers replaced on the transfer case. I still get 9 flashes. So the relay is unplugged under the drivers seat. They claimed to drive it from Montana to Vegas and the last 2 years no problem. Could this be the reason for poor mpg.

zenish

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar xlt
a bad oxygen sensor will cause poor mileage.

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
Thanks my odb1 ford scanner should arrive Tuesday I'll give it a good work out. Changed the oil got scared I could not find filter then I saw it almost behind the transmission. It looks like a mother to work on with the EAWD . There's oil blowing out of a breather hose and the plastic connected that slips into the rack. Trans pan dry some oil on transfer case the book says to check on level ground .does that mean I got to pay a station to put it on a lift. Or do you think I can remove the carpet in back and cut a door to get at the transfer case? Does this sound stupid. I received my 100% official ford Aerostar 94 electrical and vacuumed factory trouble shooting manual. In real good shape it's printed July 93. If someone needs to know something chiton or Haynes don't cover give me a shout. Icuff4cash@gmail.con

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
Actron scanner cp9015

Today my new toy came a obd1 ford scanner from actron. This is built just for ford-Lincoln-mercury line only.came with a book and a credit pass to retrieve fixing information to help you with your trouble codes. This item was new and sealed. I know I could have did the paper clip thing but I'm not lucky and I could see me burning my electric system in the van.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.