I just drove my Aerostar to Florida and back to Ohio! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I just drove my Aerostar to Florida and back to Ohio!

don-ohio

Reaction score
City, State
jackson,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Aerostar extended
That's my second trip in a few months.Now has 101,500 miles. The Aerostar always runs great and rides great too! don-ohio :)^)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What was the fuel economy on that trip? I get 21.6 mpg every time I go from phoenix to albuquerque and 24.5 from phoenix to san luis obispo, ca. I can make it without stopping for gas to either destination.

What was the fuel economy on that trip? I get 21.6 mpg every time I go from phoenix to albuquerque and 24.5 from phoenix to san luis obispo, ca. I can make it without stopping for gas to either destination.

About 19 Josh............I drove pretty hard against a head wind all the way down. I get a check engine light if I accelerate hard like on an entrance ramp. I'm thinking maybe EGR,but on start-up sometimes I get rough idle.I shut it off and restart and its fine. Any thoughts anyone? Plugs and wiring are fairly new.
don-ohio :)^)

About 19 Josh............I drove pretty hard against a head wind all the way down. I get a check engine light if I accelerate hard like on an entrance ramp. I'm thinking maybe EGR,but on start-up sometimes I get rough idle.I shut it off and restart and its fine. Any thoughts anyone? Plugs and wiring are fairly new.
don-ohio :)^)

3.0 or 4.0?

4.0 Josh...........and a very good engine just like the former Aerostar I had with 230K miles before I broke it.My fault.

Yeah,Brooklyn, I should do that. Been looking for houses and haven't taken time. don-ohio :)^)

Sounds to me like a dirty maf sensor. When I bought my last van it did the same thing. My van doesn't have egr but my experience with it on my 87 2.9L ranger was when it was working it advanced the timing a few more degrees but never ran bad when deleted. I just set the base timing 4 degrees higher.

Thanks,Josh! I have to work nightshift tonight and the next three days,but I hope to get some time to check it out. don-ohio :)^)

Crappy milage

I get 130 miles a tank in the city. I have a complete tuneup new map ect. Idles smooth new fuel pump filter. I'm only going my trip and gauge to e before running out. My next trip is to carry a gas can and drive it until it runs out. How many mile you get in city stop go traffic. I have a 3.73 rear

I get 130 miles a tank in the city. I have a complete tuneup new map ect. Idles smooth new fuel pump filter. I'm only going my trip and gauge to e before running out. My next trip is to carry a gas can and drive it until it runs out. How many mile you get in city stop go traffic. I have a 3.73 rear

300 miles around phoenix. 130 miles is about 6 mpg

I get 420 miles on the road per tank approx. That's drivng 70 mph most of the way to Florida and back. I only run Marathon if I can get it.Less ethanol,better mileage. Plus I get 25 cents a gallon discount.don-ohio :)^)

Don't drive until you run out of gas. Sediment in the tank will clog the pump, internal sock screen, and the external filter plus the pump over heats if it's not saturated with gasoline around it.

Thanks for the info but why ****ty mpg. Everything was replaced.before I bought it from the original owner they gave me the receipt. My only other thought is the awd not working correctly. They has the sencers replaced on the transfer case. I still get 9 flashes. So the relay is unplugged under the drivers seat. They claimed to drive it from Montana to Vegas and the last 2 years no problem. Could this be the reason for poor mpg.

a bad oxygen sensor will cause poor mileage.

Thanks my odb1 ford scanner should arrive Tuesday I'll give it a good work out. Changed the oil got scared I could not find filter then I saw it almost behind the transmission. It looks like a mother to work on with the EAWD . There's oil blowing out of a breather hose and the plastic connected that slips into the rack. Trans pan dry some oil on transfer case the book says to check on level ground .does that mean I got to pay a station to put it on a lift. Or do you think I can remove the carpet in back and cut a door to get at the transfer case? Does this sound stupid. I received my 100% official ford Aerostar 94 electrical and vacuumed factory trouble shooting manual. In real good shape it's printed July 93. If someone needs to know something chiton or Haynes don't cover give me a shout. Icuff4cash@gmail.con

Actron scanner cp9015

Today my new toy came a obd1 ford scanner from actron. This is built just for ford-Lincoln-mercury line only.came with a book and a credit pass to retrieve fixing information to help you with your trouble codes. This item was new and sealed. I know I could have did the paper clip thing but I'm not lucky and I could see me burning my electric system in the van.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back