RFR2212

Typing Police
Reaction score
City, State
In the mug by Chitown
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 JEEP Wrangler
For anyone interested...I got this reply from National Wheel and Tire:
The front lock-right runs $237.95. The rear runs $247.95. We unfortunately do not carry carriers or gears.
Just thought I'd let y'all know...I think I'm goin with these...Although I'm still lookin for prices on 4.56 gears...
Thanks,
Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pete, waddya mean carriers? you mean the diffy housing?

Honestly, I've got no clue...In one of the locker threads they say the carrier? is weak and they make a stronger, heavier dutier version. So I really don't know...
Pete

.02 worth...

The carrier is inside the diffy housing. It's what the ring gear bolts to. Sometimes when you change gears you have to change carriers.

For example, My Trans Am has 2.73 gears. I'm below the split. So for me to go to 3.42 gears I have to order a larger carrier.

Explorers are usually large enough carriers so you don't have to get a new carrier. Unless your below the gear split range.

Example, Maybe your explorer came with real High ( low numerical ) gears and you want to go to 4.56 gears. Then you would need a different carrier. Not sure where the split is on the 8.8 or Dana 35. My 3.73's are fine upto a 5.13 gear change.

Hope this helps.

yes, actually it does!!! so does the carrier have anything to do with adding a locker?

Call West Coast Diffs. They have the Powertrax No-Slip which is the gearless locker. The LockRight is the earlier cheaper hard locking diff. When going around corners it will engage a little more harshly. The No-Slip from West Coast was around 289.00 100 or so cheaper than anywhere else I looked. You can buy the carrier for strenght if you want. You won't need it unless you have a gear ratio higher than 3.56 (numerically lower)and you want move to a 4.56. Every other one like the 3.56, 3.73 and the 4.10 will fit fine. Also if you have the L/S diff you will pay 20 bucks more.

[Edited by HIX on 10-24-2000 at 11:50 AM]

HIX, great price! I'm getting one soon so I will call them up. Just to clarify the "gearless" notation, the No-Slip doesnt' work with clutches that wear out so it is permanent, right? The Detroit Gearless is the one that will eventually wear out.

Just making sure I don't get confused here.

I guess it isn't really gearless. It doesn't have clutches.
Give me a sec...I still have the manual. I will post in a few w/ more info.

GJarret I know you are a tech-type so here is the link to the tech overview and a review by rockcrawler.

Here is the link to the powertrax website. Just click on the No-Slip and scroll down to tech overview and the rock crawler review is right below.

http://www.powertrax.com/home_frame.html

I just got this email reply for gears:
Hello Pete,
The cost on the front gears would be $239.95 and the rears would be $129.95 If i can be of any further assistance feel free to E-mail or call the number
below.
Thank You
Ray Sanchez
This is for a set of 4.56 gears and I know that my axle tag on the door says D4 I believe...Make sence to anyone?
Thanks,
Pete

Just for info, there's no split on the 35, one carrier is good for all available gearsets.

Don't know for sure on the 8.8 .

Kampy- Something tells me with the knowledge you have with what ya did to your ranger...I may inquire for some tips when the install comes around.
Thanks,
Pete

RFR2212, D4 is the code for a 3.73 L/S rear.

Thanks Goober...That is what I heard and my limited slip has become useless because of age....So techincally I don't need the new carrier, but would I want it for the added strength?
Thanks,
Pete

I believe it was Rick who posted something about flex being the killer to the gears, so a stronger carrier ( I would think) would help save the gears when under stress. Something also about using an aftermarket diffy cover that was stronger and gave extra support.

Definately...And I know with lockers and the width of my tires, I'll be out there flexin it...I believe ricks got a really strong diff cover right?
Thanks, Pete

The flex is the housing, not the carrier.

If you have a factory limited slip carrier, you will need to replace the carrier with an open one in order to install a Lock-Rite or such.

BTW, I have an extra open carrier from a '98 with only 31K miles on it, if anyone is interested.

Scott's right, the flex problem is with the housing, it allows the ring gear to deflect away from the pinion, causes all kinds of nasty little problems.

The cure for that is the heavy cover with the preload bolts that everyone talks about.

I think, but am not positive, that a lock right can be bought for a factory L/S case. For some reason that stuck in my head.

Call Reider racing at 800-356-1330. They can give you the whole poop on it. They are in Michigan so shipping won't kill you. I get all my diff parts from them and have never had a problem. They've always been the cheapest also.

Back