I just replaced my rear hatch struts. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I just replaced my rear hatch struts.

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
hi guys I just replaced my rear hatch struts. eBay special $23.00 for both. This was the easiest thing I did to the pug shuttle. 5 minutes for both. Does anyone need 2 blown struts or just the clips that hold the struts to the balls. Before I trash them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been thinking about doing mine, since they're about half strength and winter weather makes them less effective. Thanks for the reminder!
don-ohio :)^)

hi guys I just replaced my rear hatch struts. eBay special $23.00 for both. This was the easiest thing I did to the pug shuttle. 5 minutes for both. Does anyone need 2 blown struts or just the clips that hold the struts to the balls. Before I trash them
Reaching through the rear window opening doesn't count.:D

It's a five minuet job. Just buy the right struts. There different strengths. I had a hatch with a wiper and glass. If you have this you must buy this strut because the hatch is heavier . It comes,no glass,glass,glass with wipers.
Tools a small flat screw driver and vice grip.
1. Open hatch and clamp vice grip to keep hatch open on one strut rod.
2. Use small blade to pop clip on strut. Strut will come off. Take new strut pop on ball the clip on new strut locks strut on ball
3. Repeat on other strut. ( I did not use vice grip because both were blown so I used a 1x2 7 feet long to hold open hatch. Hatch must weigh at lease 50 pounds and I have no help. And with my ms I'm as strong as a 9 year old girl in the school yard. Considering my handi cap I did this in 5 minuets flat. I'm going to throw the blown struts out Sunday let me know if anyone needs the clips to hold the struts on if yours are bad.

I could use the clips. Did you ever make it to pic a part?

No I ripped a ligament I drove the van on ramps. Going to KFC for a pot pie $5.00 meal after lunch I'm going to do that leak you found on my transfer case. Maybe wed wife has to go to get the yearly mama gram she hasn't had it done in 8 years Monday and turns is my tuneup at the cancer clinic. So I'm shooting for wed. Email me and I'll mail the clips today reg mail. Mon is a holiday so you should get them wed or less were only 300 miles aprx

I just got in from pick a part,the guy gives me a price of $35.00 for a window . I go pull the thing go to pay $55.00+tax total 61 they have 4 Aerostar there and 3 in Henderson . I took the glass out of a gold tinted glass van. It was a 95 tail lights were different. I have no idea how they know what they have. It's just out side the Air Force base. I watched fighter jets play for a half an hour. Those who live there must get mad. From the boom. There building $300,+000 homes out there.

$61 out the door isn't bad. Are you going to install it or find someone? If those taillights are the 97 style, all red I want them.

I did it took 1/2 I had to hunt for the buytil tape.only car quest had it for $28. Go to pick a part lamb I know they were different than my 94, if they have them I'll pull and send them. There 30 min from me there next to the air force Base

I'll be at Thomas and mack again on saturday.

Also, if your struts are on the way out, you can pull the door panel and speakers out, and get a few more months out of them! I usually grab a good pair when I'm at Pull A Part, easy since the hatch will usually be up!

Back