• Register Today It's free!

I just want to thank wal-mart.

uh60james

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport (Dora), '06 XLT
I take my x to wal-mart to get her oil changed since they will give her a free tire rotation when they do it. I don't use there oil I take my own motorcraft oil and filter. I have been doing this for a while now. I decided to change my own oil today. I drove to my work as my apartments won't let me work on a car here. Drained the oil, put the plug back in, tried to twist off the filter by hand, didn't budge, no big deal. Got the oil filter wrench out of the back of the truck, and after a lot of work managed to get it on (tight fit, long handle) still didn't budge. I tried the screwdriver throught the filter trick, just mangled the heck out of the filter. I tried using a hammer and a large punch on the hole the screwdriver made, no luck. I ended up having to call my buddy who has a tow-truck to tow me to advance auto. Thank god they had the socket type oil filter wrench. I had to bang on the ratchet wrench just to get it started. Although its rather embarassing that an oil change took as long as it did, and I really didn't feel like telling anybody about this. I want to share so others can either A) dont go to the above mentioned establishment for oil changes or B) buy that nice tool they sell at the auto parts store, its actually cheaper than the strap type wrench.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wired_af said:
That sucks. Next time try stabbing the filter with a screw driver to get leverage to turn it, always works with my stuck filters.

i think he tried that.....

as far as wal*mart is concerned, filters do tigthen themselve up, and walmart might have been a little overzealous with the tightening, but its better too tight than loose

I agree with Jimbo. Some techs just play it safe. I know I do. I am seeing a lot more of those "drop in" type filters like fuel filters on a diesel - well they say to only torque the tops to like 25 inch pounds which isn't a whole lot but I just put it on there til its snug and I feel safe about it. Whatever you do - make sure you take the old oil filter gasket off! Been there done that!

-Drew

btw, there were marks on the filter from a filter wrench so they used one to tighten it down. I am a mechanic, helicopter not automotive, and even if it had been tightened to 25 inch lbs or something like that it should have not been that hard. I have had to break some pretty high torques at work and nothing has been anywhere near that painful! I would be curious to know what kind of training the wal-mart techs recieve.

uh60james said:
I would be curious to know what kind of training the wal-mart techs recieve.

Not much im sure.

Make sure they didnt somehow cross thread it, that would be a real day killer.

Wrench marks on a filter are obviously a sign the tech went overboard when torqing the filter down.. I tighten my oil fiter as much as I can with just my bare hand (not tools)... I have several adjustable filter wrenchs, but also have a strap wrench that is usefull to get stuck filters off...
Strap_wrench.gif

Or use K&N filters, they have a 1 inch hex nut on the bottom, easy off with a socket.

Here is a tip: Before putting on your new filter, smear some of the used oil or fresh oil on the rubber seal. This will prevent it from sticking to the filter seat.

Wal-Mart.....they managed to double ring my Jeep last year, causing some SERIOUS problems with the engine (about $500) and ultimatly leading to the poor things demise. Wal-Mart did say they were sorry for the problems caused and offered to give me a free oil change. Anybody want a coupon for a free oil change?

I will tell you exactly what the problem is. This is a scientific observation. Quick change places and especially Wal-Mart has only teenagers changing oil. Why would you ask what kind of training they get? You should already know this answer. Zero. Oil changes are only profitable if they can do as many as possible by as cheap of labor as they can afford. What you got here was someone putting the Mo-Jo on the oil filter.

mountaineergree said:
All of this confirms why I always change my own motor oil. It sometimes costs more than having it done, but I know its done right or at least who to blame if its not.

Amen.

Bud LaMonica said:
I will tell you exactly what the problem is. This is a scientific observation. Quick change places and especially Wal-Mart has only teenagers changing oil...

hey now, i only left teenage years a week ago, but i have been changing oil in cars since i was 14, so you have that scientific observation a little bit wrong.imo. The problem is a lack of correct training. How hard is it to add in that they have to get it hand tight? Blame walmart not teenagers, i know i dont speak for myself.

uh60james said:
I would be curious to know what kind of training the wal-mart techs recieve.

Computer videos and Q/A , they are boring as h***, i work for wal-mart and unload thier stupid semi trucks 5 days a week.

probally a new tech did the work, i duno, atleast you don't have to tell them to add 5-quarts when they add the oil(2.5l ranger, the computer think it is 4.5quarts :fire: )

btw, they have motorcraft oil, i seen it on the trucks, its not on the shelf so maybe you have to ask for it? I always used mobil 1

Just install that those things with your hand, that way you dont have to fight it later.

Yeah, they do sell motorcraft oil but I can generally find it for cheaper than what they will end up charging for it. Buy it by the case from your autoparts store, you will probably have to ask the cases are hidden away usually.

I was shown once when I was 16 and thats all the training thats needed if you're shown correctly. I havent had a stuck filter yet!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not the age of the employee. It's the "give a sh*t" attitude, that's what seems hard to come by today.

Hand tight has always worked for me. I always dip my finger in the old oil and lube up the oil filter gasket.

In the future, crack the oil filter lose first. this way if you can't, you still have a car full of oil to get home.

Sorry about your very long oil change

Back