I just want to thank wal-mart. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I just want to thank wal-mart.

im a teen mechanic... I have basically learned everything i know from my dad or have taught myself. I work on high end vehicles all day, like lexus, bmw, audi, mercedes, vettes, alfa rameos, etc... i have had VERY few complaints, actually i can only think of one customer i have ever had, which is pretty good considering i see upwards of 50 cars a week. Im not braggin im just saying, if you take it serious it doesnt matter how old you are..

Hand tight has always worked for me. I always dip my finger in the old oil and lube up the oil filter gasket.

I always do the oily finger on the gasket too, BUT........read THIS:

On Greasing or oiling the gasket:

Most folks pre-fill an oil filter and always run a oily finger along the gasket but Airwolf recommends grease for this purpose.

How tight should I tighten my filter to make sure it doesn't leak, but is still easy to remove?
The single biggest mistake people make when installing an oil filter is failing to use a dab of Dow Corning DC4 or any good silicon grease on the oil filter O-Ring before screwing on the filter base. Never use engine oil on the gasket as 50 hrs later when you try to remove the filter, the oil will have been long gone and the filter will not want to come off. We purposely have made our oil filter adapter easily removable with 4 bolts, so if you put the filter on like a gorilla, or you used engine oil as a lube, you can take the filter base off the aircraft and put it in a vise and deal with it there. Never try to remove a stuck filter on the firewall, as our mount is deceptively simple, yet very strong, and you have the potential of pealing back the firewall with brute force. We purposely did not provide a way of holding our filter base with a large wrench because if would provide you with a very large lever and increase to potential of damaging the firewall. Again, fix the problem, not the symptom. Use a dab of DC4 silicon grease and you'll never have a problem removing an oil filter.

Came from Part 2 of this web site:

http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-oil/lubrication-oilpart1.htm

Anyway..........just some food for thought.

Aloha, Mark

Back