I know nothing about cars...Please Help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you think I have a lemon?

• Total voters

laurendav

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hi there!!

I'm hoping that I can get some help with a recent problem I've had with my '14 Explorer Sport. Please keep in mind...I know absolutely nothing about the workings of cars and I will be the first to admit it. I just want to make sure that I'm not being taken advantage of by a dealer, because that's what I feel might be happening.

A little background on my car: I bought the car used with about 49-50k miles, only put on ~5k since. I've had the car only 6 months, and it's still under warranty (5yr/60k). First, I had problems with the rear suspension and my car froze up on the freeway onramp--5 days into having the car. Turns out the rear suspension was recalled and the dealer never disclosed that (does that seem weird to anyone else, or am I crazy?). Anyway, that's been dealt with, and Ford replaced it under warranty.

Fast forward to recently...last week I got a weird "low engine oil pressure" warning while leaving my apt complex out of nowhere and immediately the car started smoking through the passenger vents and engine with a very strong oil smell. Took it back to park at my apartment and later that night when I had it towed to Ford to have them take a look, realized that all the oil had spilled out and emptied onto the pavement.

Anyway, this is what the dealer is now telling me (forgive any incorrect terminologies, I was taking notes while talking): The fitting for the oil line is gone, the turbo fitting needs replacing that was blown off (they have to pull the turbo line in order to replace it), and the "keeper" clamp that holds the oil return line is gone. They're quoting me with a $1,200 bill and saying that it's not something that's covered under warranty.

Now, I realize I'm biased because I don't want to spend that money to get this repaired...but my thought is that if something "blew off", there is an underlying issue that caused it, and should therefore be covered under warranty. Can I get a second opinion...does anyone think I may have gotten a lemon?? I'm really starting to get frustrated that a "new" car is having this many serious problems in such a short time...and an expensive car at that!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whose warranty? Car dealers used warranty or Ford's? If Ford's, I'd find OTHER authorized Ford dealers for advice.

Hey @swshawaii , thank you for your reply! Not out of line at all...it is under the original Ford Manufacturer's Warranty (not the dealer's used warranty--that was only 30 days, go figure). They're wanting to charge me a $100 fee for just looking at the car, is that normal? I really don't want to keep having it towed from dealer to dealer if possible, but if that's what it takes to get this covered!!

Your warranty is a 3yr/36k bumper to bumper so that is over. The only other warranty is the 5yr/60,000 mile powertrain which covers engine/transmission. If you are under 60k, you fall under that coverage which is:

1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, electronic engine control unit, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, thermostat, thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump.

Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, propeller shafts, retainers, supports, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints.

So the question is, What is the part that caused the chain of events. IF the part that failed is covered, then it would cover all other parts that failed that are not covered because a covered part caused it.

If a non covered part failed and caused covered parts to fail, then the repair is not covered.

At this point, I'd recommend calling Ford and opening a case with them. Ford will call the dealership and deal with the Service Manager on this problem.

Just to add, considering the oil pump and oil seals and gaskets, I would think you would have a reason to fight this since it is an oil line issue. Plus yo ur turbo is covered under the powertrain so if the turbo fitting is bad, that should be covered.

Good luck and keep us posted.

@blwnsmoke Thank you!! Yes, I do have the 5yr/60,000 miles THANKFULLY!! I still have ~1 year/5k miles to go, and will definitely be purchasing an extended warranty just in case. Going to the dealership after work today to hopefully push back on them to get this figured out but from what I've seen, I feel much better that I have a case. Let's hope this is done soon--I've already been 1 week without the car!

I'll be sure to post updates as more develops...

How many miles exactly are on the car? You said you bought it with "about 54k miles, only put on ~5k since." That puts you dangerously close to the 60k cut off for the powertrain warranty. Is it possible you're actually a little over 60k and therefore out of the powertrain warranty?

@kam327 whoops...realizing I mixed up my numbers! I've only put ~4-5k on it--it now has 54-55k!! was about 50k when I originally purchased it. I'm definitely within the warranty

@blwnsmoke Thank you!! Yes, I do have the 5yr/60,000 miles THANKFULLY!! I still have ~1 year/5k miles to go, and will definitely be purchasing an extended warranty just in case. Going to the dealership after work today to hopefully push back on them to get this figured out but from what I've seen, I feel much better that I have a case. Let's hope this is done soon--I've already been 1 week without the car!

I'll be sure to post updates as more develops...

Once you are repaired, get in touch with me on here, I'll get you an ESP at cost. But you can not buy one till repairs are complete now.

I'm pretty sure this is a powertrain issue, so it should be covered under warranty.

Once you are repaired, get in touch with me on here, I'll get you an ESP at cost. But you can not buy one till repairs are complete now.

If she's in Nashville, it's only 20 some odd miles to Joel's...might be worth just towing it over there.

If she's in Nashville, it's only 20 some odd miles to Joel's...might be worth just towing it over there.

I hate the mobile version doesn't show that information. I didnt realize that.

@blwnsmoke I definitely will--thank you so much for all the help!

As Jon M stated, if you are close, get your vehicle towed to Two Rivers Ford. Joel is the internet manager there and will make sure you are treated appropriately. He is the one that does all the ESPs for forum members.

I just emailed Joel a link to this thread so he may chime in with some advice if he can.

I hate the mobile version doesn't show that information. I didnt realize that.
Rick (Admin) mentioned that is a problem with mobile phones. Sometimes turning it sideways helps a bit in showing more data. Even then it may not show everything.

Peter

@blwnsmoke @Jon M My car is already currently at Two Rivers Ford, that's the dealership that told me this information. Got stuck at work late yesterday and couldn't make it there in time for closing, but will be going today and will ask for Joel instead of the person I talked to previously.

@blwnsmoke @Jon M My car is already currently at Two Rivers Ford, that's the dealership that told me this information. Got stuck at work late yesterday and couldn't make it there in time for closing, but will be going today and will ask for Joel instead of the person I talked to previously.

Curious if you have an update or spoke to Joel. I know he isn't in the Service dept but is a stand up guy and won't BS you.

@blwnsmoke No update on the car itself, but I did go down to the dealership yesterday and talk with Joel who was very helpful! He suggested I go directly to the manager Chris. I work late again tonight, but will be headed there tomorrow to get this all figured out.

Ok so I have a partial update! After playing some phone tag, I was able to speak with the manager this morning and he agrees, thinking it's faulty workmanship from the previous dealership. Only problem being...that dealership is back home where I bought it in CA (moved to Nash), so they can't fix it themselves. Off to call that dealership and hope that they'll work with me and pay Two Rivers for the repair...wish me luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so I have a partial update! After playing some phone tag, I was able to speak with the manager this morning and he agrees, thinking it's faulty workmanship from the previous dealership. Only problem being...that dealership is back home where I bought it in CA (moved to Nash), so they can't fix it themselves. Off to call that dealership and hope that they'll work with me and pay Two Rivers for the repair...wish me luck!

Somehow I missed this update and was checking in to see if anything came of it. Any update from the dealer in CA? And what would be faulty workmanship from them? What did they do to the vehicle or do you think they did as far as work goes that would be faulty?

Back