• Register Today It's free!

I love my '98 5.0 Mountaineer!

TBMounty50

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer 5.0
Hello, first post ever, anywhere. Just want everyone to know that I am die hard Ford. I wandered once and opted for a Nissan 240SX in an attempt to save on commuting expenses, it didn't turn out too well. I will never stray again. I did agree with my girlfriends purchase of her MazdaSpeed Protege however. It's a neat little car and sort of a Ford anyway, right? Anyway, just puttin it out there up front! Looking forward to talking to everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome! i have a '97 5.0 mountaineer and love it too. what have you done or plan on doing to it? once i started modding things i couldn't stop, it's my new hobby :)

welcome

First mods and future mods

I know what you mean YoungMounty! First thing i did was fab my own custom, open element intake. Since then I've added a custom cat back, gutted the secondary cats while I was in there, added 3\4 inch worth of torsion twist and brought the rear up to match with an add-a-leaf and custom shackles (I love working at a metal fab shop!). After the new fenderwell clearance I bought a set of 31x10.50-15 GoodYear Wrangler Authority rubber. That really added some character. I've also modified the factory sub enclosure to fit a 10 inch MTX Thunder and hid a 350 watt Kenwood amp where the factory amp used to reside. I couldn't believe they fit, you'd never know they were there! After lots of frustration, I figured out how to tie it in with my factory Mach stereo and was able to retain my 6 disc changer and stealthy factory look (I was very pleased about that). Ive replaced all fluids with Mobil1 and Lucas synthetics and also added a drain plug to the trans pan when I had it off for the filter change. Just today I blacked out the hideous red reflectors in the lift gate and smoked the tails. It looks soooo much cleaner. Next I'm looking to add a second, factory style trans cooler and move both of them to the back side of the core support, against the condenser. This will give me the clearance I need to hide some driving lights behind the grill. I tow quite a bit so thats what the extra cooler is for. Once I get my brackets fabbed up at work I'll start in on that project. In the more distant future I'm looking to build a 331 with my focus on making lots of low and midrange torque. Probably do some mild smoothing and blending on stock P heads, same to the intake, torquey cam, Torque Monster headers and maybe roller rockers. Of course I will need some tuning electronics. I'm sure some will scoff at this but it's my daily driver and it's only other duties are towing and getting me to the places I want to go that aren't on the map. What I mean by that is, I don't need the top end, just the low end grunt. I've got a Thunderbird project planned to take care of those desires. I also like to go fast, just not in this truck. I almost forgot, I eliminated the clutch fan and installed dual electrics I pulled from a Taurus. They are mounted to a custom aluminum shroud I also made at work. Well, if anyone has actually read all my rambling, what do you guys have kicking? By the way, this site is great, I can stop annoying my girlfriend and talk to people that actually care about my hobby. Or is it a disease? Either way, I love it.

Pics! Pics!

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

I would also like to know how to list my vehicle specs under the heading to the left. I'm more mechanical than computer technical and haven't figured it out yet.

I'll work on the pics, I'm pretty illiterate about that too.

Back