I may be a peer of Henry Ford | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

John DuBers

Reaction score
City, State
nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer, XLT
I am old but active. I was thrilled to find this forum...both for sharing and learning.
My first Ford was a 1963 Galaxy Convertible (6 cyl- 3 on the tree). Lasted 6 months until I saw a Forest green convertible that rumbled my windows. I stopped the owner and talked him into trading for a few bucks and my pristine sixer. OH, yea. It was a 1963 and a half 427, dual quad, 4-speed convertible. Almost every car since has been a Ford. Currently I have a 1997 Explorer (302), a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger (302) and other lesser cars (6-speed Corvette, GMC Conversion van, Toyota Camry, Goldwing Motorcycle...etc. I still love to work on my cars - I have a Lift in the garage to ease the strain on my old back.
So, that's my relevant introduction to the Forum.....
Thanks for allowing me in....I hope to contribute....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am old but active. I was thrilled to find this forum...both for sharing and learning.
My first Ford was a 1963 Galaxy Convertible (6 cyl- 3 on the tree). Lasted 6 months until I saw a Forest green convertible that rumbled my windows. I stopped the owner and talked him into trading for a few bucks and my pristine sixer. OH, yea. It was a 1963 and a half 427, dual quad, 4-speed convertible. Almost every car since has been a Ford. Currently I have a 1997 Explorer (302), a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger (302) and other lesser cars (6-speed Corvette, GMC Conversion van, Toyota Camry, Goldwing Motorcycle...etc. I still love to work on my cars - I have a Lift in the garage to ease the strain on my old back.
Ok, more callsigns here than in QST. I am N4BYO.

Absolutely!

Welcome to the forum!

A member named @imp would really like to meet you.

Upper Right corner.

Inbox tab right in the middle.

Select Start New Conversation

You are looking for a user called imp.

He is another engineer and Old Gear head

@John DuBers

Jeez! I'm putting in a lift (soon as my wife gives in), and I got you beat by 2 years! The Sunbeam Tiger was available right about the time I ordered my '65 Mustang, "K" model......289 High Performance. So, I was broke. Little has changed over all those years.

Friend of mine way back then, Ford Mechanic, bought a brand-new 1963-1/2 427. We ran out to County Line Road west of Chicago, I was about 22 then, and set up a race against a Chevy. The 427 broke a rear axle coming out of the hole! It was around that time I was putting a 430 Lincoln in the second of 4 cars it wound up in.......

Hope to hear from you, as mentioned by my friend @shucker1 down in LA. Thank you, C. C.! imp

Welcome to this forum! We have a thread about garages on this forum. It would be interesting to see your garage with a lift. Some people posted photos showing their garage next to their house, and their garage appears to be similar in size.

@John DuBers

Jeez! I'm putting in a lift (soon as my wife gives in), and I got you beat by 2 years! The Sunbeam Tiger was available right about the time I ordered my '65 Mustang, "K" model......289 High Performance. So, I was broke. Little has changed over all those years.

Friend of mine way back then, Ford Mechanic, bought a brand-new 1963-1/2 427. We ran out to County Line Road west of Chicago, I was about 22 then, and set up a race against a Chevy. The 427 broke a rear axle coming out of the hole! It was around that time I was putting a 430 Lincoln in the second of 4 cars it wound up in.......

Hope to hear from you, as mentioned by my friend @shucker1 down in LA. Thank you, C. C.! imp
I am in Raleigh... and the lift is only 50-inch lift....but good for me.
Loved my 427...but got talked into trading for a Torino GT in 1968. Drag raced that too.... then pulled that engine and tore it down.... Ported, polished, cammed, springs, intake, Holley, hooker headers, dual point distributor...etc. Put that sweetie into the Carol Shelby special (Sunbeam Tiger).... in place of the 260 that it came with. Wow what a difference 250 HP make in a 2200 lb car.
Corvette is fast - Tiger is faster!!
Love my cars, love speed, love working with my hands...
Jim

Glad to be of service @imp !

Going back down to Miami Monday so I'll be off schedule a few days because of the 13 hour run.

I do it in one chunk.

New Orleans to Lee, Florida Leg 1 (Gas, Facilities Break)

Lee, Florida to Miami Leg 2 (Gas by Hotel, Beer, Sleep, Go to Work)

Sunbeam tiger, That is on my lust list. Welcome to the forum!

Sunbeam tiger, That is on my lust list. Welcome to the forum!
@Josh P
The Tigers got poor copy back then, as I recall. All sorts of rough commentary about the car's inherent weaknesses. I never believed much of it, but never had the opportunity to actually experience close-up Tiger dealing. imp

Back