I may have found a donor engine to hold me over | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I may have found a donor engine to hold me over

xjames

Reaction score
City, State
Jonesboro, Ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I think I have found another first gen $400. The tranny is trashed but the engine runs fine. I think I will drop it in mine to run til I am finished rebuilding the current engine. I have been thinking about all the parts I will have left over. I will hold onto the axles for shafts and such. The body isn't in great shape, it resided north of the mason dixon. I was planning on doin some narrowing to the 85 bronco in the shed. There is a 4" difference in wheelbase between the 4dr X and the bronc. The bronc has the 351w, c6, 1356, 9" and of course d44 ttb up front. I have seen alot of guys running the same drivetrain (with exc. of ttb 44) in the first gen X. Do you think it would be possible to put the X body on the bronc frame? I know I will have to reposition some the frame mounts to match the X. I will also have to move the 9" back 4". The thought of an X on a fullsize frame with a fullsize drivetrain really sounds good. Plus the narrower body of the X compared to the bronc really will be a plus. I haven't read of anyone doing this but it sounds like an easy way to get a full size drivetrain with less fabbing than a SAS. Not to mention the better power to weight ratio. With 4.56's and 33's the bronc was no slouch off the line but an X, Holy Smoke! I know this will probably be a long project but it will be alot less than the plans I originally had for the bronc.:D

sounds fun if i were closer i'd bring a blow torch and beer lol

Back