I may need a new vehicle (SUV, FAST, Seat 6)!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I may need a new vehicle (SUV, FAST, Seat 6)!!!

bkantor

Reaction score
City, State
Mpls,MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT V8
I'm looking at a new job that will most likely require me to get a new vehicle. I like my X, but it's 10 years old, paint is crappy and I would need something I could take customers around in and still get my family of 6 in (two car seats).

I saw the Jeep Cherokee SRT8 and Chevy Trailblazer SS but neither have a third row seat... but the thought of 0-60 in 5+ seconds and 1/4 just over 13 seconds is, well, awesome.

So, I'm stuck looking at slightly larger vehicles. I tend to lean away from Chrysler products (multiple bad experiences) and Chevy doesn't thrill me with their fit/finish. The vehicles that pop out are

1) 2006+ Explorer (I want a 5.4!)
2) Expedition
3) Tahoe / Yukon. (Wish the LS2 vette engine were available)

Goals: Stay under 30K total, be fast (doesn't have to be SRT8 fast, but something under a 14 second 1/4 would be cool), not spend months putting it together (family, no back-up vehicle) and of course 3rd row seat. I'll probably look for a low mileage 1-2 year old vehicle to save $$ up front. I'm thinking supercharger and breather mods, that's it.

So, suggest away! FYI, I lean explorer (not so huge) with the new 4.6L 3V engine. I'd be curious in how much hp you think your "suggestion" would yield as well.

Brad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You yank my chain :) The excursion won't fit in my garage! I have a friend who has one at it is absolutely ridiculous. As for the minivan, we have one of those (Honda... aside from the paint it's a nice vehicle). I need to keep something around for towing/hauling.

I've seen quite a few cheap expeditions...

He said FAST
it is fast...when you go WOT :D

Seat 6 + fast doesn't really add up. I don't know of anything off hand (stock) that meets that criteria. Thats why I say an Excursion. Then you have an excuse to not be fast = size. :)
but if he gets a diesel excursion w/ a programmer like bully dog the thing will fly

I guess fast is relative :) Fastest car I've ever owned is our current minivan (0-60 in 7.8 seconds IIRC). It goes but I reallllllyyyyy hate front wheel drive!

So far the best option I've seen is an Expedition w/ 5.4L and a whipple SC. This combo seems capable of producing 0-60's around 6 seconds and low to mid 14's in the 1/4... and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Chevy equivalent.

1 year old Expeditions seem to be dirt cheap as well...

excursion w/ programmer will be faster. and teh engine will last forever

mountaineergree - I know my math is off, but at least the kids are still light ;)

So, someone show me this fast Excursion. I'm curious. It still doesn't fit in my garage, though, which is somewhat a requirement.

briwayjones - Yeah, the Cayenne is pretty cool too, although I think I'd look at the BMW X5 (it has a third row seat) if I got up towards 50K.

In an ideal situation, I would get an Explorer to haul 6 and something like a jensen healey, opel gt, datsun 240z etc for the fun/speed aspect. If you get 200-250hp in one of those they'll really go! The spousal unit won't go for that, though, so plan "b" is to make the SUV go fast.

That's pretty cool. I think it's neat to see these larger trucks get up and move and it's plenty fast for me. Right now I'm enjoying my stock '97 X.

I gotta figure this out as I've got a powerdyne and TM headers sitting in the garage. If I keep my X, they're going in ASAP.

That's pretty cool. I think it's neat to see these larger trucks get up and move and it's plenty fast for me. Right now I'm enjoying my stock '97 X.

I gotta figure this out as I've got a powerdyne and TM headers sitting in the garage. If I keep my X, they're going in ASAP.

If you dont keep the ex, i'll buy the headers off of ya...just keep me in mind. ;)

Damn!!! I especially liked the run against the F150 lightning.

As for the SC and Headers, I'll definitely stick them in the For Sale section if I do switch routes. It's hard... if my X had a third row seat I would keep it forever. Aside from things wearing out, I have had virtually ZERO problems and I love the old 5.0 engine, oh, and only 97K miles (owned since 16K).

Centurion Bronco...? :D

713441_2_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back