Mike 92 XLT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Manhattan Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Expensive German Stuff
Hey everyone

I've been trying to chase down a fuel system problem for awhile now. Here are the symptoms: every once in awhile, the car will go through this phase where it doesn't like to start on the first try. I can hear the fuel pump running, but when I try to crank it, it either cranks and doesn't catch, or it starts and barely idles. It always fires right up the second time. After a week or two, these symptoms will mysteriously go away for awhile, then start again. Next symptom: there is a fairly decent fuel smell when the car is running. I have replaced the evap charcoal canister and solenoid and it didn't fix the problem. Next symptoms: fuel mileage going steadily downhill and blackening around the tip of the exhaust pipe.

So today I went and hooked up a pressure gauge to the system. Turned the key on and the pressure went to 40 and then right back down. So the system isn't holding pressure, which explains the hard starting.

So right now I'm thinking either bad FPR, leaking injector, or both. A bad FPR would explain the poor mileage and the black exhaust pipe, but the injector would explain the fuel smell, and either would explain the hard starting. But would a bad FPR cause a fuel smell too? And when the FPRs go south, don't they usually show an abnormally high pressure, like around 80 or 90? What does everyone think?

peace

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a fuel smell when my FPR went out as well as most of your other symptoms, but I got the CEL telling me I hand O2 sen.s problems.
I would say FPR is a good place to start. Good luck

I'm leaning towards the FPR too, especially since I got a price from Torrie on the injectors. $60 each! :eek: Jeebus, can I get them anywhere else for cheaper? No CEL though, but that doesn't really mean anything I suppose. I think I'm going to try the cheap fix first. I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks toad!

peace

Mike

Yup, I'd guess FPR also. They can stick closed as well as open, so your drop in pressure is probably due to that. Could also partially be the injectors or O2's, but I think starting with the FPR is a good idea.

Mike,

My FPR went out two years ago with your same symptoms. Won't start or very hard to, hesitation when I really needed to boogie up the road. I just ended up replacing it and a bad fuel line. And lots of gas smell--it was so bad I could watch gas drip from the fitting when I took it to the dealer.

Back