I need a Picture Of Power Relay Box Open, 1993, 1994 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need a Picture Of Power Relay Box Open, 1993, 1994 explorer

MadExplorer93

Reaction score
City, State
Sault Ste Marie, Ontario Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL 4x4 4.0L OHV V6
Ok many know i have a 1993 ford explorer 4x4 v6 4.0L.

Well the other day (like last week and i forgot to mention this in here as i was busy doing other things) i was checking relays out and i had them pulled out and i put them back, but i was ummmmmmmmm not paying attention to which ones went where, they are original OEM ones with numbers on them which end with either 34, 35, 36 so i may have put the wrong relay in the wrong spot or spots.

Can someone be so kind to post a picture with the relay power box open to show what relays go where or even just give me a run down how yours is configured.

If a few ppl can do this so its a positive confirmation that is the way it should be, that would be great.

Thks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No that is not the same, mine has those type of fuses in forefront of box, but behind those fuses i have about 6 square relays, one for ECC, one for Fuel and one for ABS and one for whatever and ever.... lol

...yea, i know they changed some of the X's in 93, but i am sure someone else will post up...good luck...:D

...yea, i know they changed some of the X's in 93, but i am sure someone else will post up...good luck...:D

Thks for trying Tbars4

The lid has the picture on it doesn't it??

Pictures of my 1993 power box and relays/fuses

Ok to make it easier for ppl to know what i have already i took some pictures about 2 min ago of what i have for power box and fuses under the hood of my 1993 Explorer 4x4.

The relays are numbered and are different as if you try to put on in the other spot it fits, but you will for Example: get a open circuit code for the pump relay if you put a number 35 or 36 relay in that spot.

The truck has not be up and running since last saturday casue of me doing work under the hood, but i did some relay testing the day before that and now i can't remember if this is the correct relay positions for the numbers on them. I did get some codes the day before that were related to the relays not being correct spots, but i just want to make sure for saftey sake if they are correct and if anyone can 100% state so.

Here is pics:

The run down is like this.

Left side relays numbered are
3F16 0036
3F16 0036
3F16 0035

The run down is like this.

Right side relays numbered are
3F16 0035
3F16 0034
3F16 0034

those relays are all universal

there are two types of Ford power box relay's, 4 prong and 5 prong
You can look inside the yellow divider below the relays and see if there are 4 or 5 wires

Its simple, if there are 4 then it gets a 4 prong, if there are 5....

Also a 5 prong will work in a 4 prong hole
You can get replacement relays that plug directly into your box at any auto parts store....

Looks like you got them all installed, as long as they are all 5 prong you should be golden

91-92 have a different box, with the relays underneath
93-94 share the same box, with the relays as pictured
95+ are different, they even moved sides of the engine bay

They are not the same as some will stay open circuit if put into another spot in the box. Yes like i mentioned they FIT IN any where, but relays are not made the same inside or basically to do same function as the others.

Different Volts go to one or the other.

When you buy a universal from a auto shop it will be designed for that relay specific to fuel pump, abs, and so forth.

I got a open circuit fuel pump relay when i used a 0036 relay in that 0034 spot, but with the 0034 i get no code and the 0036 relay when i put it back into its proper spot at that time NO CODES came up.

There is a difference, my problem is i took them all out without thinking that there was a difference and now i want to make sure they are in the proper spots and that is why i need someone who has such a box look at theirs for me and write how the relays are Numbered and to where they are situated in the box.

the only thing the relay from the auto store does, is take a standard 4-5 prong relay and shape it to fit the Ford boxes

4 prong or 5 prong, the only difference is the 5th prong is also a signal on wire when the relay is switched.

I wire these boxes custom with the systems from my trucks.
This Means for the last 12+ years I have been taking these boxes apart and adding/deleting circuits to them so I know exactly what each wire inside the box does and why.

You can believe me or not but the simple 12V automotive relays from Ford do not have a specific location..... they are simply 4 prong or 5 prong and a 5 prong will work in a 4 prong hole.

If you got an open circuit failure when you swapped 34 for 36, check if one is 4 prong and one is 5, then check your spade connectors that connect to the relays, and then test the relays.
Testing a relay is simple with a multi meter

Ok i just looked at the ABS relay and the Fuel Pump Relay and they are both 5
prong and the ABS uses all 5 prongs = 5 wires where as the Fuel Pump Relay only uses 4 of the prongs = 4 wires and one open space where it plugs into. Both are different numbers ABS is 3F16 0036 and the Fuel Pump Relay is 3F16 0034, all the relays if i remember have 5 Prongs on them.

Like i stated they will fit in either spots, but some only use 4 out of the 5 prongs. I suspect ford disabled 1 out of the 5 prongs on the 3F16 0034 Relays, this is probably why i got a Open Circuit when i changed those two around prior to pulling them all out and then i am not sure about 4 out of the 6 relays are in the proper spots now.

I called both Ford Delearships about 10 min ago and both places stated if they are different numbered they are different relays in their configuration to operate no matter how many prongs are seen on them.

So i don't know as i thought they would be universal and plug into any one of them without any codes or issues, but it is apparent they are not.

This is why i made this thread to try and get someone who has this type of power box to give me their run down on location, i went by memory only when i put these back in, maybe they are correct and maybe they are not.

I, just now, got up ,got dressed, got My camera, went outside in the dark to the 94 in the driveway, opened the hood, and was fully intending to take a pic for you, but they were all 26 relays! LOL I guess not all 94 and 93 are the same...oops.....

I, just now, got up ,got dressed, got My camera, went outside in the dark to the 94 in the driveway, opened the hood, and was fully intending to take a pic for you, but they were all 26 relays! LOL I guess not all 94 and 93 are the same...oops.....

Wow 26 Relay squares .... i guess not all are made equal.. :)

Thks for looking, by any chance does the 6 i have match the same location as the 6 in your 26, numbers and all?

He means in his 94 box all the relays are numbered 26 from the factory, not that he has 26 relays.

the 93 and 94 power dist boxes are the same

If a relay has 5 prongs all 5 prongs are being used in that relay, they did not disable one of the prongs

Again they are all the same relay, meaning any of your 5 prong relays will fit and work in any of the other relay spots. If they do not then you have a bad relay OR bad wiring

When you call a dealership for stuff like this you are not guaranteed to get somebody on th ephone who knows what they are talking about.. the guys who know what they are talking about are usually not near the phones

from reading your posts I am not even sure you are having a problem with your truck? You are just concerned that the numbers on your relays may be out of order?
Is everything working?

I looked through my pictures to try and help you (I have worked with several of the 93-94 boxes) but I do not have any pictures of the box full of fuses and relays in stock configuration, only pictures of me taking the entire mess apart and rebuilding it to suit my needs

5 prong relay only uses 4 to work in a 4 prong plugin (menaing it seems that one prong is diasbled in the stock relays for the ECC and Fuel Pump. I tried a few in a different spots and get a code if its not a correct one... go figure.

Either way ... it is now like the pics above are and there is NO ISSUES so far.

Thks for all who posted.

Back