I NEED A visual aid as to valve body on an A4LD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I NEED A visual aid as to valve body on an A4LD

MAXIMIS1

Reaction score
City, State
Upland California
Year, Model & Trim Level
10/93 Explorer sport
I REMOVED MY valve body and to replace 3-4[elet.soln.] now other then confusion from the why it was wired in series with the other ele.soln. and the placement of the check balls it went together smoothly...however i know have no reverse? i did not attempt to drive it however i know it does go into forward gears and park. but nothing in Rev. got rev lights but no powereflow

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you get the manual valve hooked up correctly when you reinstalled it ? theZ link back in place ?

yes however afterward i slipped the tail-shaft housing off and inspected item within it seemed to go back together just fine is there poss. something with in that area i have overlooked. or could a check ball location be incorrect?

Did you disassemble the VB at all? or JUST replace the solenoids? Here are two diagrams for the check ball locations. I had tried earlier in the week to scan them but ran into problems in that I could not convert ehe tiff files here at home. So I just took pics for ya... note the 4.0 is the bottom line, and has 4 balls at locations A, D, F and G. Here is a chart:

15286DSCN5654-med.jpg

and here is the map:

15286DSCN5655-med.jpg

I doubt looking up the governor end of the trannie is playing any role. Did you use new VB gaskets, and torque the VB?

awesome man thanks very much this should possibly be added to the a4ld rebuild diary its a very helpful diagram thanks again

what i did was placed the both pressure relief valves upside down , and had two of the ball in the wrong place all and all i pretty much messed it up but thanks to the new info its all better

Glad to hear another success story, and you made a good point, those are now in the Diary as well.

yes its the valve body and its mystical "small parts" locations

Simply put it is the main control unit - the brains, if you will - of the transmission. It controls when the transmission shifts and how. (the easy answer)

Back