I Need Help Asap!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I Need Help Asap!!!!

I have a stock 96 explorer with 4wd. I have taken it off road 4 times.. nothing major off. Today there was a grinding noise in the right wheel. Does anybody have any ideas. I have not really cleaned the engine as well as i should...so its still kinda muddy...Nothing really bad just some mud here and there. How do i clean the engine??? Can i just use water and a towel to get the mud out. My dad things the noise might be a broken, cracked, or busted CV joint. I dont know how i would have busted it but he thinks thats it. He also thinks the dirty engine might be a factor.... PLEASE if you can ansewer my questions do so as fast as possible.

I have the car on a lift looking at it now!

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does it make the noise when not in 4wd?

yea it makes it when im driving in 2wd on the highway or on the way home.

does it do it allt he time in 2wd???? if so i doubt its the CV joint, but idk

it does it for 10 to 15 minutes and then it stops...I turn on the car again and it does it for another 10 to 15 minutes

could be cv. the 4x4 are almost awd. the front axle will work at low speeds, even in 2wd

so it does it when the wheels arnt turning?

no it does it when the wheels are turning for about 15 min then stops

oh, than i guess it could be those. Stic-o, do they really turn at low speeds???? why?

so it could be the CV joints??
---how much is a new cv joint

Would the CV break after just 4 times of offroading??? It wasnt seriuos offroading at all

They front axle is live till about 35mph or something like that. If you look at your 4wd switch it says Auto/4Hi/4Lo. Why? not really sure why ford did it. Anyways...Try jacking up the front and turning a tire by hand. Then you tell which side it's on. Have you done any mods to the front end?

mine says 2wd ,4wd auto, 4wd low. its a 95 by the way

so it moves all the time at the rate of the tires spinning????

i never knew thaT, thanks for the info

I have it jacked up and i will do the tire spin.. Thanks

Back