• Register Today It's free!

I need help hooking up subs.

Sbarnes2

Reaction score
City, State
Rollinsford, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Hey i'm new here, but i just bought a 99 explorer xlt and i have an amp and subs that i want to hook up. I need a power, ground, remote turn on (ignition), and a speaker wire + and -. What colors will those be/where would they be? I figured all of you guys would be the right people to ask. Thanks Alot!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you havent gotten it yet.

Red - Hook straight to battery terminal and run it all the way to the back where your subs will be, either through the side of the door or drill a hole in the firewall.

Ground - Theres bare metal under the back seats just unscrew one of the screws and put your ground on that and put the screw back in to hold it.

Ignition(blue) - With your aftermarket HU there should be a blue wire coming from the wiring harness directly from the HU it shouldnt be hooked to anything and if it is just splice it in.

Speakers - there should be RCA outputs (red and white) on the back of your aftermarket HU hook up some RCA wires for car audio and run them to the back to your amp. Your amp should have positive and negative run those to the subs with the correct wiring. It would be beneficial to buy a amp wiring kit and capacitor from walmart or another car audio source.

Red - Hook straight to battery terminal and run it all the way to the back where your subs will be, either through the side of the door or drill a hole in the firewall.

Ground - Theres bare metal under the back seats just unscrew one of the screws and put your ground on that and put the screw back in to hold it.

Ignition(blue) - With your aftermarket HU there should be a blue wire coming from the wiring harness directly from the HU it shouldnt be hooked to anything and if it is just splice it in.

Speakers - there should be RCA outputs (red and white) on the back of your aftermarket HU hook up some RCA wires for car audio and run them to the back to your amp. Your amp should have positive and negative run those to the subs with the correct wiring. It would be beneficial to buy a amp wiring kit and capacitor from walmart or another car audio source.

Power- I wouldnt recommend a straight connection from battery terminal to the amp, you want to have the power wire be split by a ANL/AGU fuse (preferably by the battery). Then from there you can more than likely drill a hole in the firewall or just slit a bit of rubber from where the brake/transmission wire passes through and pass the power wire through.

Ground- the seat idea is great but you must remember the shorter the ground the better, so if it is hard to keep the ground closest to or less than a foot long, it would be better if you drill a hole somewhere by where you are going to place the amp. get a ground terminal and screw it in where you drilled the hole. Keep it snug and Make sure to sand off any paint to prevent a bad connection.

Word of advice: smaller the number of gauge for ground and power the better. 12<10<8<6<4 ect.

I dont have an aftermarket hu so what color would the ignition wire be?

please put a fuse on the power cable as close to the battery as you can, id hate to see your X burn to the ground if it should short out.

as for the ground, you will most likely not find bare metal, you will need to take a wire brush and clean up the metal before putting the bolt back in with the ground wire on it.

Back