• Register Today It's free!

I need help installing my amp

94Matt

Reaction score
City, State
Thompson's Stn, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mounty 4.6 AWD
Hey guys, i just got a used but in great condition , mtx amp and 2 sub box. I have a HU with rca sub controls... i want to install this in my X but dont know much about where to run the wires for the batt lead, remote and ground... Also how and where do get through the firewall to install the battery lead? I wanna do the install my self and i knnow a little about wireing, but how and where do i run the wires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ground

Did you install your deck?
cause i just used a ford wiring harness in my install and spliced all the grounds from the amp and sub to the black ground wire that runs away from the deck (on the rectangular 1'' plug). All of my speaker wiring runs through the center console and under the mats.

You could do an internet seasch and find this same info better explained.

to install the power wire use the largest diameter you can without going overboard ( 2 gauge wire on an 80 watt Sparkomatic). I would recommend at least 8 ga. wire. You will need for this power wire to be fused as close to the battery terminal as possible. You will probably find a hole in the firewall to run the wire through. To find one, open the hood, then get inside of your truck with your head under the steering wheel and look for sunlight. If there is no hole, you will have to drill one. Be sure to use a rubber grommet around the wire or the firewall will cut the wire. Most amps arent made for direct wire connection so you are gonna need some spade connectors. For the ground wire--it doesnt need to be more than about a foot and a half long and needs to be at least the same size as the 12+ wire. It needs to connect to biid ground piont such as a seat or seatbelt bolt. For the remote wire, look on the back of your HU and there should be a blue wire labeled Power antenna--run a wire from this to the remote terminal on the amp. If there is no antenna wire you'll need a fuse tap. It will plug into one of the fuses that comes on with the ignition and will hold another fuse for the remote wire coming off of it. You can get these from Auto Zone for about $1.50. RUN POWER WIRE AND PATCH CABLES ON OPPOSITE SIDES OF THE VEHICLE OR YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!!!!!

Save yourself the hassle and just buy one of those amp kits for $30. It comes with a diagram some with fuse holders already tapped inline and that's basically all you'll need. In addition to the info above, make sure to connect the RCAs LAST in your install. It's fun and rewarding, just take it slow.

Jon

When I ran my wires for my amp, I found a rubber grommet already in the firewall on the driver's side with several wiring harnesses passing through it. I stuck the battery lead through the grommet with the other wiring harnesses (there are a few under there, pick one). No drilling required. The RCA cables, remote wire, and power wire are all run under the carpet. I pulled all the plastic panels on the driver's side out and pulled the driver's seat out. This allowed me to pull the carpet up enough to get the wires under it. When you get the door sill off, you'll see there is a plastic casing with more factory wiring run through it. I ran my power wire through the plastic casing and to the amp. My RCA and remote wires are run on the driver's side of the transmission hump, away from the power, as mentioned above. I wanted all the wiring to be hidden, so I ran it all under the carpet.

Thanks for the help. I know where to hook up the remote now. I guess i will run the ground to the back seat bars is this alright? Also when i get the power cable through the firewall, where and what do i hook it up to? thanks for your help...i just dont know where to hook the power cable to.

The power wire goes from the positive terminal on the battery to the power terminal of the amp. The amp should have a "+" sign or "POWER" or something over the terminal to connect the power lead. Also, consult the manual for the amp for wiring diagrams to assure yourself. Very important: be sure to splice an inline fuse in the power cable as close to the battery as you can!!

hey stephen, where exactly did you find the rubber grommet(s) in your truck? i have a 97 so i'm assuming (and we all know what that makes you and me) that the wiring should be similar, if not identical. thanks.

Well, I got under the dash and checked today. There's only one (my mistake) rubber grommet under my dash that I felt safe running wires through. It's the closest one to the carpet, more to the left side of the vehicle (to the left of the pedals). I poked a small hole, away from the wires coming through already, through the side of it and ran the wires through there. If this is unclear, I can try to get a picture of it if necessary. Hope it helps!

could you do me a big favor stephen and take a pic of it for me? I would be super appreciative. Right now I have my wires running between my running boards and body of the truck, and are snaking up into the interior through my driver side door. Thanks so much for the help. It's really appreciated!

Back