• Register Today It's free!

I need help with spark plugs!!!

allenhudson91

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 4.0 XLT
My spark plugs are carbon fouling on the exhaust side of the engine. I replaced the plugs and wires yesterday, and it is still doing the same thing. I can drive about 20 or 30 miles and they will foul up again. But only on that 1 side of the engine. What could it be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is you coil pack in good shape?

yeah, i didnt see anything wrong with it.

I should have been more specific sorry. Is it properly working? Did you test it? Make sure its plug is clean as well.

I don't think a bad coil pack would cause fouling. Have you been using any excessive additives, is there oil on the plugs when you remove them?

check your O2 sensors they can cause the plugs to foul out if it is running to lean or rich.

I second O2's... I guess I'm not understanding your diagnosis- all 8 cylinders fire intake and exhaust- what do you mean by the "exhaust side" of the engine?

I second O2's... I guess I'm not understanding your diagnosis- all 8 cylinders fire intake and exhaust- what do you mean by the "exhaust side" of the engine?
well in a 1st gen unless someone did a swap there is only 6 cylinders, that might be why your not understanding.

Unless he means the "exhaust" manifolds. In that case there are two, one under each bank of spark plugs.

It might be helpful to delineate which side of the engine the plugs are fouling from the FRONT of the ex.

Back