i need more mpg | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i need more mpg

limited5.0v8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 limited 5.0
How can I get better mpg open to any options looking to spend under 400 bucks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should help

250px-Marin_bike.jpg

Go on Craigs List and find a beater that gets good gas mileage. Other than keeping the Explorer in good running condition and changing your driving habits (at least this is free) there isn't much you can do to increase gas mileage.

do the basic tune ups, check the coolant temp sensor and oxygen sensors, make sure fuel injectors aren't leaking.

Driving habits are also a big thing. If I drive my 4.0 Ex with a lead foot, it gets 13mpg. If I drive it like its on ice, i can net 18-19 in town. Actually it got to the point that the econobox that I bought cheap to drive while gas was 4-5 a gallon, was more expensive to run.

my fun car a '77 Chevelle got 9mpg when I first got it, and just doing a tuneup on it got it improved to 19mpg on the highway. in town it gets 13-15mpg.

Driving it like there is an egg on the gas pedal should help as well as checking tire pressure. For mods that gain mpg, the top three would be eletric fan, underdrive pullies, or a tune.

I have found that non ethanol gas is the best way to get better gas mileage. I have a fuel app on my phone and if I use ethanol I get 14mpg... without ethanol, 22mpg. Big difference.

+1 on non-ethanol gas. I get much better gas mileage with non-ethanol but I still get 10% ethanol once a month when I get the $1.00 off per gallon at Kroger.

I gained at least 5 mpg when I did away with the AWD t-case and put in a 4406.

A bicycle would help....or get a 4banger beater (why I have the ZX2). Do a google search on hypermiling, for suggestions.

from this,
164368_10150356201170165_713775164_16580183_3720209_n.jpg

to this,
282537_10150721765895165_713775164_19772795_5713819_n.jpg

SHAZAAM<<

from 18 to 35 mpg in a single bound,,,,,,,,,,

HAHAHAAAA..Corky I have 3 CRX's can't beat 45mpg. Can beat the balls things though, turd up a hill.

but a man in a CRX isn't manly....

Can't be any worse than a man in a Camry... :D

(I enjoy my 37mpg on non-Ex days...)

i don't know where you get the turd up a hill thing?
My crx hauls the mail, it will accelerate uphill like a scalded dog,,

Can't be any worse than a man in a Camry... :D

(I enjoy my 37mpg on non-Ex days...)

Yeah probably not manly driving a Mazda in disguise little Ford neither but...36mpg can't argue with that :)

Feel sorry for us over here in the uk its £6 a gallon here at the current exchange rate that is $9.35, you guys would be in the streets shootin' somebody if you had to pay that. We just take it and the government just laughs.
Onetime

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back