• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

I need some advise...

'96explorereddiebauer

Reaction score
City, State
Clemmons, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Honda Accord EX-L
Hey guys!! I'm getting a new computer in a week or so and I think I've found my match. It's a Gateway 500X. Here're the specs:

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.4GHz w/ 512K L2 Advanced Transfer Cache and 533MHz FSB

256MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM

80GB UATA100 7200RPM Hard Drive

16x/48x DVD-ROM

48x/24x/48x CD-RW

18" flat panel monitor

128MB NVIDIA™ GeForce4 MX440G Graphics with TV Out

SoundBlaster Audigy Audio w/ IEEE 1394 (FireWire)

Boston Acoustics® BA745 Speakers with Subwoofer

Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

So what do you guys think??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jssong

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
not bad.. but id go with a geforce 4 ti 4200 or 4600 if ur into gaming.

jssong

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
rdram might be a bit faster, but i dont think worth the extra money. i have 256 rdram on mine.. but i also run millenium, which i will switch to 2000 this winter, but ME doesnt make good use of RDram. maybe xp or 2000 will

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
Right now I have 128MB of PC800 RDRAM (expensive sh!t) and it ran really fast when I was running ME. I put XP on about 2 weeks ago and since then, it opens programs so slow and I'm having issues with my virtual memory. I just ordered another 256MB that should be here this week so I'll see what happens.

Howard

Moderator Elite Explorer
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
Stick with the DDR 333 as this is fast becomeing the standard ram and is very cost effective. The given speed differences between RDRAM and DDR SDRAM are so small as to be insignificant and only visible to test progs.

The spec sounds good except for the graphics card the geforce mx chips set is much slower than either the ti's or even the ATI 9700 pro which is the current top performer.

You don't say how much but as long as it's not too bad then should be ok.

PS you can always change the graphics later but see what the cost diff is if you have it now. Also up the ram to 512 you'll thank me later.

All the best.:D

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
What are you paying for all that Billy??

'96explorereddiebauer

Reaction score
City, State
Clemmons, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Honda Accord EX-L
Oh...It's $1500 plus 7% sales tax since Gateway charges taxes for every purchases now. It's a very good deal. What I really love with this deal is the 18" flat panel monitor. Thanks very much for all of your inputs. More inputs are welcome.

EDIT: I just added $100 towards a new graphics card. It's 128MB NVIDIA™ GeForce4 Ti-4200G with TV Out and DVI Graphics Accelerator.

'96explorereddiebauer

Reaction score
City, State
Clemmons, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Honda Accord EX-L
Woohoo!! I ordered the system today. It's total is $1,728. It'll be here by Monday. The only change I made was the graphics card, to the Ti4200 chip. Man...I'm gonna love that new monitor!!! 18" flat panel for only $1,728. Oh...it comes with a free printer too. It's awesome!!! I'm soooooo excited!!!

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
Congrats! I ordered my dell for that much about 2 years ago. It was top of the line back then and is still better than some that are being sold today. Better to pay when you buy it and have it last than have to upgrade in a year.

'96explorereddiebauer

Reaction score
City, State
Clemmons, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Honda Accord EX-L
Thanks man. I wanted to get a Dell but their prices are a lot more expensive when compared to the one I got so that's why I got the Gateway. I'm not really worried about their reliability either because we have 2 Gateways and they're working flawlessly so I'm very satisfied with my purchase...I hope.