i need some help on fixing my 1998 ford explorer eddie bauer v8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i need some help on fixing my 1998 ford explorer eddie bauer v8

justison

Reaction score
its makeing a chuging kinda sound i think its coming from the back of the engine and its got no pull to it the best it can do it 2mph up small inclines and like 30-40 mph on flat i checked the vacum lines but they dont golt leaks i was thinking somfin like maybe wher the exhaust conects to the engine
came un dun or is cracked but wold that make it louse its power like that?
or just acount for the chuging sound im a bit of a novice still but i under stand how most of it woorks under the hood and i got a Haynes repair manual for it but its not very specific for whut my suv is doing i wold like to have some mor facts befor i get under the thing and start takeing stuff off so i can get to the back of the engine to see whuts makeing that sound its kinda cold out side atm so i dont wana do somfin that might just be useless and get frost bite for it this the onley transportation i got atm and i kinda need it and
i kinda wold hate to hav to get rid of it iv had it for the past 5 years and its surved me well.....till now

i hope i posted this in the right place.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These engines are practically indestructible. Is yours very high mileage? Any history of overheating, oil starvation, repairs?
Your description sounds like base engine problem. Perhaps a stuck valve or lifter, skipped timing chain, or something like that. I would start this with a simple compression test and go from there.

overheating a cupl times cuz the pipes whorout and the cooling all came out and i got a frind to replace all the gaskets evean the head gaskets like a year and a half ago(i had him do it and wached him changing all the gaskits was a lil beyond me but hes a pro) and extremely high mileage we got it 2nd or 3rd hand form some random carlot for like 5000
5 years ago

best i can do is replace some basick stuf like brake lines pipes and hose's and some electric stuf i cant do things like timing chain and stuf tho my frin who did all the gaskits showed me it and told me some stuf bout it when he was working on it so i under stand how it works a lil bit thers also bit mor smooke coming from the mufler then norm thats y i thought it might hav somfin to do with that

i like your ideal it might be a stuck valve or lifter but im prety shur the timing chain is good sry if my spelling and gramer is bad i dont do much paper work in the jobs i do

Sounds like you got your money's worth from this engine already. If, as I suspect, you find significantly low compression on one or more cylinders, it's probably time for a new engine (or a new truck). Good luck!

thx for your insight and advice ya i think i need to get somfin new hopfully i can get somfin cheap and keep this 1 and maby fix it

almost sounds like clogged cats maybe. Any check engine lights/codes?

ok i did some lookingaround on the net and googled some things and

this is a vid i recorded and tossed up on youtube of whut my ford sounds like
i stuck the camra under ech tier well driver side and then passagener
it seams louder from the passagener side to me

and i found this wile looking around

and this is colse to whut my engine setup is i think. and it sounds allmost like the same thing thats rong with mine

Why are you typing like you're drunk?

Oh, shoot. You're dyslexic, aren't you? I'm sorry.

almost sounds like clogged cats maybe. Any check engine lights/codes?

the check engine lights hav ben on since i got it i dont trust the check engine sensors i think 80% of them are broken and worn out atm.....
they seams useless to me and i had people at adv auto plug in 1 of them thing to see the codes and ther wher so maney he said i shud replace all my sensors...

Oops! Please delete this.

OK, What we have here is the very common cracked passenger side header, ( cracked under the heat shield ) and corroded EGR tube connecting exhaust to intake manifold - EGR valve.

If you have a 98, with this style of header ( exhaust manifold) I can almost be certain of this

attachment.php

Look on ebay for a passenger side header made of cast material, and a new egr tube. You "may" have a clogged cat, but you definitely have these problems.

I also want to ask these important questions---

Does the "check engine" light turn on when you first turn on the key?

Does the check engine light turn off when the engine starts?
Does the check engine light turn on while driving--does it stay on all the time?

Check all the fuses, especially mini fuse #13 under the hood in the power distribution panel
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...14&highlight=fuse+relay+location+distribution

Post back your answers please.

OK, What we have here is the very common cracked passenger side header, ( cracked under the heat shield ) and corroded EGR tube connecting exhaust to intake manifold - EGR valve.

If you have a 98, with this style of header ( exhaust manifold) I can almost be certain of this

attachment.php

Look on ebay for a passenger side header made of cast material, and a new egr tube. You "may" have a clogged cat, but you definitely have these problems.

I also want to ask these important questions---

Does the "check engine" light turn on when you first turn on the key?

Does the check engine light turn off when the engine starts?
Does the check engine light turn on while driving--does it stay on all the time?

Check all the fuses, especially mini fuse #13 under the hood in the power distribution panel
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...14&highlight=fuse+relay+location+distribution

Post back your answers please.

the check engine light is allways on as soon as the key turns and stays on till its turned off has ben like that since the day i got it

im also having problems with the blinkers/emurgency lights and checked all the fuzes they all seem good no burnt out or broken. tryed a new blinker relay the parts stor sold me dont seam to work cuz when i plug it in thers a beeping from under the passagener dash when i turn the key on (im gessing thats the computer saying it dont like that part or somfin) but it will still start and run just no blinkers atm and that chuging ill pop the wheel off and check that part u showed me ill get back to u on that. its raining outside atm...

I do not know about your location, but if you have an Autozone store near you, they will scan the codes free of charge.

Do not let them sell you anything--just write down the entire code and description, then, post your results back up here.

These codes will be invaluable--we need them to help troubleshoot this.

Do this before anything else. :D

Back