I need some Help! What Gauge Wire Should I Use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need some Help! What Gauge Wire Should I Use?

Raminator157

Mopar Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Essex Jct Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ram 1500
I am gonna be installing a Rockford 601s amp into my friends car. It says it peaks at 1800 watts. These are the stats I got on the amp from an ebay aucton, and I posted a pic that says its 1800 watts.

150 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
300 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
600 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms in bridged mode
stereo or bridged mono output
4-ohm stable in bridged mode
Tri-Way capable
requires 8-gauge power and ground leads and a 50-amp fuse wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
50-250 Hz high-pass/low-pass (12 dB/octave) crossovers
MOSFET power supply and output devices
MEHSA mounting technology increases the heat transfer from the MOSFET output devices to the heat sink, for higher power output, lower operating temperatures, and greater reliability
TOPAZ — noise-killing differential inputs that eliminate 80% of ground loop noise
Trans•ana circuitry keeps preamp voltages low and signal paths simple for outstanding audio quality
NOMAD — advanced protection circuitry for "intelligent" shutdown protection
wired remote included for fingertip control of Punch Bass (0-18 dB boost at 45 Hz)
speaker- and preamp-level inputs
17-1/16"W x 2-7/16"H x 9-13/16"D

13_1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, peak rating means nothing... It's all about RMS, so it's a 600 watt amp. Usually peak ratings are double the RMS... I have never seen one that was triple! It takes an 8 gauge input, but I'd go with 4 gauge since the wire has to reach from the battery to the trunk where the amp is.

I agree with B94sport, 8 gauge will work fine, 4 gauge would be nice but not required.

I would suggest 4 ga as well, that way if you ever want to run another amp in the setup, the wire is already there and you wont have to install another run.

Back