I need some honest advice on a seized engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need some honest advice on a seized engine

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
I have an '03 Limited Explorer with 155k and a seized engine. The body is in good shape with no visible rust. the interior is comfortable and also in good shape. Generally speaking I very much like the truck. I am sure there are some unknown mechanical issues waiting to pop up, but other than the engine pooping out, it drove great.

If this was your (almost) 15 year old vehicle (purchased 3 months ago), would you wave goodbye to it, or would you try to breath new life into it.

I should mention that I am not an engine guy, so I'd be hiring someone to do this for me. Either a shop, or a craigslist guy with a crane.

Should I fix the vehicle and plan on keeping it forever, or should I just scrap it and pour a strong drink?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would part it out (if you have the space) or sell it to a junk yard. The transmission will fail next and that is a 4000.00 job. I replaced my transmission, then the engine failed. I am in the process of re-building the engine, only due to the fact that the transmission only has 8,000 miles on it.

I would part it out (if you have the space) or sell it to a junk yard. The transmission will fail next and that is a 4000.00 job. I replaced my transmission, then the engine failed. I am in the process of re-building the engine, only due to the fact that the transmission only has 8,000 miles on it.

But then the flip side of the argument is that after an engine and a transmission, you've got two major parts with under 10k miles on them. Sure, you're still bound to see some major parts break down, but nothing compared to an engine or a tranny. I guess that's what I'm wrestling with. An engine and a transmission with 0 miles for ~$6-10k or a new used vehicle with tons of miles for ~$6-10k.

It's a tough call, so I appreciate your advice.

I would ask several questions:

1) What condition is the chassis? Paint in good condition? Rust on body panels?
2) Interior is in good condition?
3) Everything working before the engine died?
4) What was the cause of the engine seizing. Run out of oil or coolant system failure.

Any engines should run 300k miles given proper cooling and oil changes. If the car looked like it came out of hell then it's not worth fixing.

Anything other than chassis and body panels can be swapped out with readily available junk yard parts.

I have an '03 Limited Explorer with 155k and a seized engine. The body is in good shape with no visible rust. the interior is comfortable and also in good shape. Generally speaking I very much like the truck. I am sure there are some unknown mechanical issues waiting to pop up, but other than the engine pooping out, it drove great.

If this was your (almost) 15 year old vehicle (purchased 3 months ago), would you wave goodbye to it, or would you try to breath new life into it.

I should mention that I am not an engine guy, so I'd be hiring someone to do this for me. Either a shop, or a craigslist guy with a crane.

Should I fix the vehicle and plan on keeping it forever, or should I just scrap it and pour a strong drink?

Here is how I decide if it better to repair or replace.

1. Does the vehicle meet my needs.
2. Would I buy this for what the repair would cost. Example: If someone was selling this exact truck for $4000 with a rebuilt engine would I buy it.
3. Do I like the vehicle.

If I can answer yes to these questions I will fix it.

The other thing to consider is if you dump this and buy another used one you will have a chance that it will also have problems.

Back