I need some more help with this front diff whine noise!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need some more help with this front diff whine noise!!

Alaskakid87

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Xploder XLT 5.0 AWD
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422738

Ok so after replacing the axle seal and all of the front end parts I still have the whine noise.... After it leaking for so long I have to wonder if the bearings need to be replaced or inner diff parts may be needed! Can anyone shed some light on their front diff issues or what you may think my explorers issue is thanks ahead of time!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not kidding I have seen more people with the same whine noise than people without it. Use 80-90 in it and just drive it, unless you're into rebuilding it. Its probably the pinion to ring gear clearance causing it to howl.

I took worn out Khumo KL61 tyres off the front and put on 2 Dunlop Grand Treks.
They whine.
Not as bad as other off road tyres I've heard but waay more than the Khumos.

Not kidding I have seen more people with the same whine noise than people without it. Use 80-90 in it and just drive it, unless you're into rebuilding it. Its probably the pinion to ring gear clearance causing it to howl.

I will have to try it! The only reason why I am really trying to right this problem is because of the 4800 mile road trip from Alaska to South Carolina and don't want anything to break if I can help it that is! I'll have to look into the pinion to the ring gear to see if that is what is happening is it easy to replace?

Easy to replace? You will have to drop the front axle to have clearance to open the inspection cover. You could try a heavier oil, like 75w-140. I don't think this will hurt your bearings (since the rear ends use 75w-140 and obviously have a similar setup) but maybe someone else can chime in to confirm.

Sounds like an epic road trip!

Back