I need tips buying a truck with bad odometer readings... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need tips buying a truck with bad odometer readings...

JTang

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Mazda Navajo
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this was the best place to post, but I figured that the number of folks in here working on modifying trucks would probably turn up a few that have dealt with buying autos with rolled back odometers. I know they're usually a bad choice when purcahsing, but if I was dumping in a new engine or something, I'd figure it wouldn't matter anymore...?

If I purchase a vehicle with a rolled back odometer, what extra info do I require of the seller, and what is required of me for registering the vehicle? Also, what are the legal aspects of the car's record now?

ANY help or tips on this would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon

Why was the mileage "rolled back" in the first place? Do you know and/or trust the person selling the vehicle? Aprox. how many miles are on the vehicle? What is it and how do you plan to use the vehicle? What if any info can the owner provide as to the history of the vehicle (repair records, recipts, carfax data, etc..). What condition is the vehicle in? Is the price reflect the fact that the odometer has been tampered with? These are the main questions you need to answer before you consider buying the vehicle.

One of the things that I learned early on, but not soon enough!

Yes you could get the engine replaced but you must remember that When the engine has 150,000 + miles on it so does the rest of the Vehicle.

If you know the vehicle,or trust the person its ususally ok cause then you've got a relible history. Like Mike said "Exactly why was it rolled back anyway."

I know that I've looked at alot of vehicles that had High miles but where advertized as Highway miles. Yea right!!!

As far as the roll back goes call the DMV they should be able to help.

As far as visually look for the simple things that mean High miles. They wont lie even if the person selling it is. Worn Seats, Worn knobs, if power windows work well, Is the Gas/Brake/Clutch pedal worn, Was it taken Off-Road look at the Skid Plates.
You wont get alot of wear & tear with highway miles.

Ask the questions first then took at the stuff. If they are trying to hide something then you'll better understand. My GrandMother used to visit the grandkids thats all! I've heard that one.

Back