I never towed with my own car. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I never towed with my own car.

most of the time i used my friends trunk and trailer but i can't now. Im going to be moveing from Athens, Ga to Knoxville, TN. I need to know if i can tow a 5X8 single axel or 5X10 tandume axle uhaul type with just the bumber i don't have the money to buy a hitch or rent a tuck or anything like that. It is eather use on of them or leav a evething of behind with i can't do.

The 5X8

* Volume: up to 208 cu. ft.
* Max load: 1,800 lbs.
* Gross vehicle weight: 2,700 lbs. max
* Empty weight: 900 lbs.

The 5X10
# Volume: up to 230 cu. ft.
# Max load: 1,550 lbs.
# Gross vehicle weight: 2,800 lbs. max
# Empty weight: 1,250 lbs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Read the weight rating on your bumper. You will be suprised, but I belive they are rated for 3500 lbs. I used a bumper ball for quite some time and never had an issue towing 3000 lbs. The biggest pain was tight corners and hitting the edges of the bumper with the tongue while hooking up my trailer.

If you get a trailer from Uhaul you will need to use your friend's truck as they don't rent to Explorer owners.

Ya i called and asked and they told me they won't rent it to me but didn't tell me why. It says 350 max tung load and 3500 max gross. I just needed to know if the 4.0 and auto can take it.

For about 3,000 pounds I think you'll be fine. Uhaul doesn't rent to people who plan to pull their trailers behind an Explorer. This is because of the whole Firestone issue that happened a few years ago. There are pages and pages about the whole deal with Uhaul. I think it's ridiculous for Uhaul to do this because that whole issue has been resolved. Well anyway, if you plan to rent a Uhaul you will have to pull it home with a borrowed truck and then put it on the Explorer.

That why i was thinking they didn't with is stupid. Thank for the help i was kinda sure it would be ok to haul it just didn't want to mess something up in the long run.

There are other places besides U-Haul, try Hertz equipment rental, and see if they will do one way. Otherwise, how far is it to bring it back?

I will be looking around for the best deal anyone know of any other places that will do one way trips from around Athens GA to Knoxville TN? Hertz equipment rental looks like to be the best so far a 20 foot is $60 a day but idk if it would be one way.

Back