• Register Today It's free!

I pulled out 4 jeeps yesterday!

yosh18981898

Reaction score
City, State
Chana IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport 4x4
Yeah, 5 buddies and I hit the local mud hole yesterday after church.
Here's a list of vehicles and drivers:

1. Me in my 92 2-door explorer with 2" lift, 31 A/T's.

2. Eric in his 96 bone stock 4-door jeep XJ with "neon" tires as he calls them.

3. Joey in his 96 4-door XJ with 3.5" lift and 31 A/Ts. It was his first time mudding/wheeling.

4. Dave in his 95 2-door XJ with 235/75R15 A/Ts otherwise stock.

5. Matt in his 94 4-door explorer bone stock with 192,x.. miles on the A4LD and auto hubs :eek: :eek: :confused: , and almost bald 235s. He has a 90 YJ that he would have rather used but it's kinda in about 5 pieces in his parents barn.

6. Harry in his ~85 full size bronco.

After all the rain we got saturday night, the mud was nice. I ended up pulling out dave, joey, and eric (twice). It was a great day for my explorer. The 31 BFG's and 2" lift made all the difference in the world. I can't wait to get 4.10 and some sort of traction diff in there.

Of course no mudding trip would be any fun without some one getting seriously stuck, which is what happened the instant Matt got his explorer into the mud. By the time he got 1/2 way through the mud pitt, his 4wd was toast and he was sitting on the frame with the rear tires doing nothing. I hitched up thinking I'd have him out easy, because all 4 jeeps came out easily. But that wasn't the case. I pulled and pulled and started to dig myself in. But I knew from experience when to quit and got out before I was stuck too. Then Harry tried with his Bronco getting the same result as me. He dug in and we had to push him out. It was now becoming "one of those days" as matt's explorer wasn't moving.

Next we strapped my explorer to the bronco, which was strapped to Matt's explorer. The first pull resulted in a broken tow strap between the bronco and Matt's X. Then we doubled up that connection with two new straps. This time we succeeded, getting Matt's X to hard ground. We had decided we had enough for one day all went home. I think most of us ended up at the gas stating just down the road from the mud pit.

It was a great day for my because I didn't get stuck once, while 4 jeeps and 1 explorer got stuck trying to keep up with me :D :D

Anyways, I took pics, but with my film SLR. That means that it will be a while before I can get pics up and when I do they won't be that great (stupid 600 DPI scanner).

Oh and does anyone have any ideas what broke on Matt's 4wd? The T-case sounds like it's working fine and lights on the dash come on for 4x4 and Low Range. However, I didn't get underneath to see the front drive shaft spinning. I'm almost positive it's the "Auto Breaking Hubs" but is there any other possibilities? The reason I wonder is that his hubs weren't making the horrible grinding clicking noises mine did when they went out the first time I took it wheeling.

yea, i live in illinois right outside chicago and i went to this place in crystal lake, maybe you have heard of it, its on Rt. 31 behind a retirement home, the trip was planned for a week and i was soooooooooo happy when it rained saturday, it was soooo muddy, i got stuck 2 times, it was totally kick ass

Back