• Register Today It's free!

I.R.S. Conversion 91 Ranger?

Cawthon88

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 B-4000 Manual 4x4
Hello it's me again. I have a 91 Ranger 4x4 ext cab that i'm getting ready to do a V8 swap on. Installing a 5.0 HO W/ AOD trans from a 91 Cougar XR7 doner car. My Question is does anyone think it would be possible to to put the Independent rearend in the ranger? It would really hookup off the line and handle good if the conversion can be done. Any input would be appreciated. I'm going back to 2wheel drive anyway so why not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the frames are completely different, it would require ALOT of custom fabrication to get IRS on your Ranger.

There is a kit on the market for Toyota Tacoma's, but nothing for the Ranger.

You can make a leaf sprung solid axle work very well lifted or lowered.

Thanks, Yeah there would be alot of custom fab work but hey it's an idea..LOL Don't the newer x's have IRS?

yes they do, but again, there frames are very different. the newer x's axle shafts go though the frame...go figure lol.

Man that's crazy like i said it's just an idea but i'll be able to tell a little more when i get the doner vehicle in the garage to tear it apart. If i'm able to do the conversion i will post alot of pics and info because i believe you can never have to much knowledge. I just wanted something different.

why would you want to do it? you can make a solid axle handle just as well and hook just as hard. convert to a triangulated 4 link and use beefy tubes and a beefy axle and beefy sway bars. I had a '76 F100 that hooked hard enough to pick the front wheels up off the ground and I had a '79 F250 that handled like it was on rails. both had a D70 rear. My Suburban has its factory sway bars and it hadles superb for being solid axles front and back and leaf sprung on all corners. IRS is not the solution to your handling issues. its weight distribution and some research into availible components. now that I have said my peace, I don't crap on somebody elses project, just pointing out in a round about way that if you set it up wrong you will still have the same issues. as with any project, research it out before you begin.

Your absolutly right. I scrapped the idea and am going to just use an 8.8 with disk brakes, a tall gear and posi. Thanks for the constructive criticisim it's always welcome

FST put an IRS in a '05 F-150

http://www.fly-n-hi.com/FST/f150_irs.htm
onstands2.jpg

irs_f150_jacks.jpg

Cawthon88 said:
Your absolutly right. I scrapped the idea and am going to just use an 8.8 with disk brakes, a tall gear and posi. Thanks for the constructive criticisim it's always welcome

whats your idea behind your project? tall gears wont make you hook hard and certainly wont help you corner. rear disk will help you stop better and I am a big fan of all wheel disk brakes but if your idea is drag racing then you want drums, they offer less rolling resistance. tall gears will get you a better top end (I'm a really big fan of direct drive transmissions with gear sets in the low 2's) but in a rear wheel drive you want a little drift (just don't over do it or you end up in a tree) to help out in the corners and you get that with a lower gear, what torque/hp range are you looking at and whats the over all function or your rig? those are the first 2 questions you ask yourself when starting a project, then you have to factor budget because we all know we are only limited by imagination, money, and skill (although if you have enough money skill is not a factor). if you want a week end cruiser and a daily driver with a little punch on the pedal then you are certianly going the right direction with an 8.8 with disks. my suburban has 3.42's and a stock TBI 350 on 265/75/16's and has plenty of punch when I drop the hammer and I believe a SOHC 4.0L makes more usible power than my 350.

Go find a IRS Dana 44 out of a old Jag. They are the ones with internal discs ;)

Stic-o said:
Go find a IRS Dana 44 out of a old Jag. They are the ones with internal discs ;)
This guy is always on :D

I have contemplated doing this on my `92 X.

I think SOMEDAY will do it.....but I will start with a custom frame....A-arm suspension up front, and get rid of the Twin I-beams...

Ryan

Back