I ran out of gas, and now my 97 Explorer won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I ran out of gas, and now my 97 Explorer won't start.

advancewing

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ford Explorer Sport
I thought I was ok on gas, and got in the car and it wouldn't start, after I filled the truck up with 10.00 worth of gas, It then started and would shut off, I could only keep it going if I didnt hit the breaks, could this be the fuel filter?

it's a 97 ford explorer sport V6 4.0 L

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Often when you run out of gas the fuel pump sucks up some crap and sludge that was hanging out at the very bottom of the tank. It can gunk up the fuel pump or the fuel filter. I'd try replacing the filter first, since it's much cheaper and easier.

Fuel pump always pulls from the very bottom of the tank, full or empty tank.

You thought you were OK on gas?

I think you have another issue going on and it's not (low) fuel related.

Thanks for all the help, Today I will replace the fuel filter, hopefully that works, I think it is the fuel pump,I'm hoping it's not due to the cost repair, Has anyone put one in themselves?

Try bleeding off the pressure at the fuel rail schraeder valve. My '98 freaked out and that did it. Also worked on my buddies mounty when he stalled because he was real low on gas.

Try bleeding off the pressure at the fuel rail schraeder valve. My '98 freaked out and that did it. Also worked on my buddies mounty when he stalled because he was real low on gas.

I had to do that before as well. What you're really doing is bleeding all the air out of the fuel rail, I do believe..

return fuel system

The 97 model has a return fuel system and should not require "bleeding" the air out of the fuel line after running the tank dry. The only air in the fuel system would be from the injectors to the start of the return line. A couple cycles of the ignition switch should eliminate that small amount of air.

96 Explorer ran out of gas and won't stay running

Hi I was having the same problem and remembered my Uncle telling me about a reset switch. I called and verified with him and it was on passenger side at top of floorboard area little black box with red push button. I pushed that and let out air of Schrader valve and it that took care of problem and it's sitting in driveway running right now. Hope that may help someone in the future.

Back