I replaced my heater core, but it isn't getting very hot! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I replaced my heater core, but it isn't getting very hot!

JMBRaven83

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XL
I recently had to replace the heater core in my '97 XL. Everything went pretty smoothly from the directions that I followed and I thought everything was good. Well, now when I turn the heater on it doesn't get very hot in the cabin. It gets warm enough to melt frost off the windshield, but it doesn't warm up very well. The hoses going to the heater core are getting hot and I can feel the very top of the heater core behind the glove box getting hot. I also replaced the blend door a couple of months ago and it is working, so that isn't the issue. I can't for the life of me figure out where my problem is!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Assuming both heater hoses (in and out) are hot and the airflow coming through the vents is strong, then your air is flowing around rather than through the heater core. The insulation strip that went around the core likely has a gap somewhere.

Can you measure the temp of the heater hoses? Temperature should be at leats like 150-160 going into the heater core and a little less on the return side. You could have a bad thermostat.

I have noticed that the foam insulation where the heater core is coming through the firewall doesn't look too good, could that be letting cold air in?

So if the thermostat is stuck all the way open it could cause the lack of heat going through the heater core?

Your blower fan pushes air through the plenum box and is routed by the blend door to either pass the ac or heater on its way to the duct work. Outside air coming in generally isn't the issue. Rips or holes in the insulation where the heater core pipes go through the firewall likely wouldn't cause anything more than potentially losing some of your airflow out into the engine compartment. I expect it won't be much since it's very tight space where the tubes route across the top of the airbox.

Possible issues could be that the blend door is not working properly (stopping before fully open hot), heater is not getting hot enough due to restriction or or faulty regulator, or air is blowing past rather than through the heater.

You can usually check the blend door actuator fairly easily. Drop the glovebox and put the fan on lowest setting. You may be able to hear the door move as you slowly turn the temp control on the dash from full cold to full hot. You may feel some vibration at the actuator if you place your hand over it. You could also pop off the actuator and see if turns the full arc. When the actuator is off, you can swing the door with a stubby flat blade screw driver to see if it's binding or only going part of the 90 degree arc.

Swetrid is right that the heater needs to be "turned on" by the thermostat, much like your ac compressor has to be pumping coolant through to get the system cold. If you don't have a temp guage you can get a fair feel for it by comparing the top radiator hose with both heater hoses by hand. They should feel about the same temp. If the heater hoses are noticably cooler than I would definitely try replacing the regulator.

On a different approach, is the lack of heat consistent on floor, vent, and defrost? If the other routes get hot but not on top then you have a different issue where a duct was misalligned or blocked when you put the dash back together.

So if the thermostat is stuck all the way open it could cause the lack of heat going through the heater core?

i was having the same problem when i first bought my Ex last December. The temp gauge didnt work and the heater was blowing warm air, so i chandged the thermostat and everything works fine now, the temp gauge works perfectly and the heater blws hot! im 98% sure its your thermostat. theres a thread here showing you step by step with pictures how to change the thermostat.

Yeah, I'll second the thermostat/coolant change suggestion. Here's what my thermostat looked like after what I assume all 117,000 miles the odometer shows (new on left, old on right):

thermostat%20-%20old%20vs%20new.JPG

I too had just a little bit of heat and a temp gauge seemingly not working before I changed it. Now the heat blows HOT (not warm, but nearly-burn-your-hand-on-the-vent HOT) and the temp gauge works like it should.

Flush your coolant while you're at it. I'm sure it needs it.

I got a new thermostat and I'm planning on installing it in the next couple of days. I really hope it works. Thanks for all the input! I'll post again after I get it in!

Mission Accomplished! I finally put the new thermostat in this past weekend and everything is as it should be. I have heat again! Thanks to everyone for the help!

Yeah pretty much. I never would have guessed that it was something as simple as the thermostat. I guess I was trying to over analyze what my problem was. Thanks again!

JMBRaven - I'm having a similar problem. Before you changed your thermostat, did you notice anything different with your temperature guage?

My '99 Explorer has 177k miles on it, and I changed my t-stat at around 100k (it had failed and stuck open and it wouldn't get hot enough for much heat.)

The past few day, my temp. guage has been getting a bit warmer than usual - but still no heat, but blows strong. I was thinking blend door?

Thanks for any and all help.

The only strange thing that I noticed with the temp gauge before hand was that occasionally it be on the "cool" side. It would get about a 1/4 of the way up the gauge, well below what it should read. But it would only do that occasionally and it wouldn't stay down there too long.

Question: if temp and direction overhead disply is out is it a fuse?
JJM

Question: if temp and direction overhead disply is out is it a fuse?
JJM

I doubt it. You probably need to get a replacement unit. I got one off of ebay a few years ago. Pretty easy to replace, but not as easy as a fuse.

Good luck.

Back