i smell gas after replaced FPR | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i smell gas after replaced FPR

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
Hey guys, last year replaced the FPR on my truck and dropped my tank to replace the opening that had rusted out. now i smell gas and get real bad gas mileage. anybody know what else could be wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you replace the purge valve? does it smell at the front, back or inside? Do you see any dripping fuel anywhere?

check for leaks.

is the CEL illuminated?

no CEL, no dripping gas. smells outside, under the hood after cas has run for a while.

i have reason to beleive it might have been my truck running too rich. i reset the computer to relearn the settings and ill let you know how it turns out.

smell of raw fuel under the hood with no leaks is very likey a bad canister purge solenoid, especially on a Gen I (92 explorer)

so thats basically a part of the emissions system? that would cause bad mileage would it?

It doesnt help! The canister purge basically sucks all the fumes that build up in the gas tank and puts them into your upper intake manifold when you are at WOT, so they can be burned.
The fumes are "stored" in the charcaol canister until the valve is told to purge by the PCM, then the canioster purge opens, the vacuum from the throttle body sucks, and the fumes from canister and tank and purged.

If the valve fails it can stick open or closed.
They last about 100K miles in my experience, they are about $35 at Napa (Elchin brand is OEM) and be careful replacing it if you break the plastic hose fitting you are out $35.

is there any test i can perform to confirm a bad solenoid before i replace it?

You can apply voltage tot he sucker and see if it opens and closes.

I am sure there is another test with an OHM meter, but I am not sure of the proceedure. I have a droor full of them, I grab them at the junk yard...

I'm not sure if this is related to your problem, but i had a similar problem. My fuel pressure regulator went bad. Instead of 35-45 psi i had 60 psi which made my fuel milage worse than before. Check your tail pipe, it should not be black with carbon build up. Also if the regulator is leaking you would smell fuel under the hood. I hope this helps.

Back