I smell gas after replacing the FPR | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I smell gas after replacing the FPR

ParkerRocker

Reaction score
City, State
Hayden, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
I suspected my fuel pressure regulator to be the culprit of my 14 MPG so i went to the local you-pull-it for a new one. While i was replacing it i spilled gas all over the engine (yea i relieved the pressure, but some pressure is inevitable). Now whenever I run the car I can smell gas in the cab and ESPECIALLY in the engine bay.

the seal on the FPR is good, not leaking gas, so i guess my questions are:
Did i screw up? or
How long would you imagine i would smell the gas from the spill before it went away?

I'm planning on hitting her with a hose soon so maybe that will wash away the gas, i just thought it would have evaporated quicker...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i know you said the fpr is ok but ...you did lube the o-ring when you where installing the fpr right ? i used plain old 30w ...lightly cover it and installed it.i heard not to use silicone based oils because they could have a bad reaction with the injectors .

also check that the schader valve is not open a little or damaged as well .

I also had a small leak on my fuel rail when I changed the intake gaskets.

turned out I had a small amount of gasoline varnish on the inside of the mating surface for one of the fuel lines. I knew where it was leaking, but couldnt stop it without pulling that line off and cleaning the fitting.

Prior to my taking the intake off, it didn't leak either. so the varnish was there, but sealed with the fuel line end of the fitting, and not leaking. it wasn't until I disturbed that seal (removal of the line) that it started to leak.

im a dumbshit

so i didn't lube the O ring, and i finally located a leak coming from the underside of it. I found it by a huge ass puddle of gas underneath... lol ill replace it tomorrow.

thanks for all your help guys!

:frospecta

Back