• Register Today It's free!

I still get a rough ride

bigbadfred

Reaction score
City, State
West Allis, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
I heard that the IAS shocks were good but after reading this thread, I am going to think twice about them. I have the Sport shocks by gabriel and they totally suck bad and jolt my truck around. I had my upper and lower ball joints all replaced and my truck is still real bumpy. I am not sure what shocks are good to smooth out the ride. I know some street tires will help with the smoother ride and it seems that my front end feels loose when hitting bumps and makes noise like something is loose but I can't pin point what it is. It makes a sound every time I hit a bump a loose part noise. It is not a chattering sound like I had before because of my brake pad hitting the calipar it is more of a rattling noise. Can anyone help with this question of mine. I am stumped on what shocks to get and what is causing this noise

First thig, the short wheelbase of the Sport combined with the stiff truck suspension, you will never completely eliminate a stiff bumpy ride. As for the nose, check the radius arm bushings.

Mike, he's got an XLT--but you are right about the short wheelbase hurting the ride. My friends 93 XLT has a little better ride than my Sport, no question. But then I didn't buy my truck for it's caddy-like ride. hehe

Big Bad Fred you should know that I have run Gabriel VSTs and Edelbrocks and I preferred the VSTs. I don't know what a Gabriel Sport is but the VST is a good shock for a time. The VST only rode well for about 20000 miles though. The Edelbrocks rode roughly the whole time I had them (25000 miles) and finally I couldn't stand it anymore and bought some Rancho RS9000X's. I have so far only had time to replace the rears, so I'm running Edelbrock IAS in front and Rancho RS9000X in the rear. I can already tell an improvement just from the rear ranchos.

Originally posted by Rhett Browning
Mike, he's got an XLT

OOPS! :banghead:

I read his post too fast and mistook "Sport shocks" for a sport model :rolleyes:

Personaly, I like the ride of my X. Its a truck (at leat it is based on a truck platform) and rides like one.

Back