• Register Today It's free!

I stole my own car

AZmom

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Sport
So I'm still laughing, as a week ago the dealer installed my alarm. So here it is a week later and after I locked the door with the keyless entry keypad, I went to get my son from school. I was gone maybe 10 minutes, and then when we returned, I entered through the perimeter entry and after I opened the door, I unlocked the doors so my son could get in. I noticed the alarm was flashing blue, but did not recall anything else different. So I left the parking lot, drove a few thousand feet to do a u-turn at the light. Once the turn was completed, the honking began. And then I noticed my flashing blue light as it's just honking away. I was able to pull in to a subdivision where I turned off the car, unlocked, locked and unlocked the doors and restarted the car. It has not done it since, but anyone have an idea what I did wrong?

I can imagine how funny to have seen this car just honking like a crazy person but I wasn't pressing on anything. I'm still giggling thinking here I was stealing my own car....;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...no U turns allowed on that street!

Lol, that must be it! No u-turns on Williams Field rd.:D

My light flashes red....how did you get blue?...you're talking about the cellular remote access and upgraded alarm module with light on top of steering wheel column shroud right?

Ford accessory alarm?

Aftermarket alarm?

SGT:

Mine is the 100 I believe. Just a standard Ford alarm. I am a month away from a milestone birthday and the family wants me to wait. Which means next month I have to give my wish list that I want done. Including the upgraded alarm.

However the tint will be done this weekend...it's too hot here to wait. The factory privacy tint is too little for me. I think it was 110 degrees yesterday.

Quick question, anyone have the 3M crystalline tint? Or what solar tint was used?

Yes ok I was referring to the 200 model with shock sensor that you have to bundle with the cellular remote start module. I opted for the OEM Ford LED light ($15) which is red and its installed in the top of the steering wheel shroud.

I have 28% tint on fronts and its hard to see the flashing red LED through the tint.

Thank you! So you like the upgraded alarm?

My last Explorer had Lo-jack and due to 3 false alarms I opted against it this time.

28%, ok- I know I will do AZ legal on fronts on the remainder are going to be dark, to protect the dvd system (future) along with anything else we are hauling.

Thanks for the info. Now off to work

SGT:

Quick question, anyone have the 3M crystalline tint? Or what solar tint was used?

AZMom,

I had the 3M Crystalline 90 on my windscreen and it was amazing. I would highly recommend it in any shade as the heat reflection is top notch.

I am still looking for a shop in NYC that would do this again for me. My original shop closed but the cost for the windscreen was $80 with the 3m Crystalline CR90 Film and it does have a lifetime warranty.

I heard Lummar and other film manufacturers have the same thing but have also seen reports of issues with them. I know for sure CR90 on the windscreen was in one word PERFECT!

AZMom,

I had the 3M Crystalline 90 on my windscreen and it was amazing. I would highly recommend it in any shade as the heat reflection is top notch.

I am still looking for a shop in NYC that would do this again for me. My original shop closed but the cost for the windscreen was $80 with the 3m Crystalline CR90 Film and it does have a lifetime warranty.

I heard Lummar and other film manufacturers have the same thing but have also seen reports of issues with them. I know for sure CR90 on the windscreen was in one word PERFECT!

I'm looking to do this to the sunroof, as its hotter n hell in a black Ex from shoulder height on up across the entire cabin-heat is coming from the roof/sunroof...

But on the windshield, did the shop ask for a waiver?

I'm looking to do this to the sunroof, as its hotter n hell in a black Ex from shoulder height on up across the entire cabin-heat is coming from the roof/sunroof...

But on the windshield, did the shop ask for a waiver?

Nope, they didnt. The tint itself is 90% and almost undetectable. Remember some windshields come with the solar tint already on. I dont believe ours do.

I've been thinking of getting a roll from Ebay but apparently there are some knockoffs of this too.

Sarge can help us with clarification on the % i guess

The shop I'm looking to have it done at has the ability to do it all including sunroof. I'm waiting for final quote.

One shop in Gilbert said $700

I have never heard of the 3M product but they have a pretty good rep, never heard anything bad about their products.

Mine is solar tint because we don't get the heat you get in AZ, I would say down there its a MUST have.

The tint rules are regulated by Province/State Motor Vehicle Regs so there's a difference depending on where you are.

Where I am the rules say you cant have any tint from the drivers shoulder forward, which translates to the front windows. If you have light tint where you can still be seen inside the vehicle your likely to never be bothered.

I would say in the desert cities you don't really have a choice, A/C just cant keep up.

Back to the alarm - does the Ex only work off the horn?

My Saab has all the bells and whistles OEM - shock, motion sensor inside, etc., and it also has a separate alarm module with its own siren and its own batteries in a wheel well where you can only get to it by taking the wheel off, so you just can't pop the hood and pull the plug on the horn or battery to stop the alarm - which is wicked high pitched on my Saab.

It seems to only work from the horn. I seriously never noticed any differences until yesterday. I didnt notice the flashing blue light and I seriously doubt it was flashing before. It is next to the hood latch. Not really visible which had me confused.

I really want to add the app/alarm upgrade. I have not seen any real negative issues other than price...

Back to the alarm - does the Ex only work off the horn?

My Saab has all the bells and whistles OEM - shock, motion sensor inside, etc., and it also has a separate alarm module with its own siren and its own batteries in a wheel well where you can only get to it by taking the wheel off, so you just can't pop the hood and pull the plug on the horn or battery to stop the alarm - which is wicked high pitched on my Saab.

Yes your stock Ex gets the 100 series basic and when many of us here upgraded to the cellular remote access module we were required to add the 200 series which includes a shock sensor. Banging on doors or glass can set it off or tow truck lifting it up.

http://accessories.ford.com/electronics/vehicle-security.html

Hi AZMom,
How are you liking the 3m Crystalline? Did you use it on your sun/moon roof also?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi! I didn't use on sunroof - not yet. I love love it. I feel like there is a difference on interior temp on Explorers tint versus my F150. The truck is dark grey and Explorer is red....so in the Arizona sun, I feel a difference- and I don't close the sunroof screen.

I have a list of things I want to do to my car, the tint to sunroof is one of them. I have a big birthday less than 2 weeks, so hoping to knock out wish list. :D

Also I set off my alarm again, so to complete the day I just need to hit a bird...

Back