Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
I test drove a 2020 ST today. I have to say I was quite impressed with the performance! The ST is a really well rounded package. Excellent ride quality, quiet, and quick. It's one of those cars that it's way too easy too speed in because it just doesn't feel like you are going that fast. I won't say by how much I exceeded the speed limit without my noticing, but I can tell you that the salesman had a good laugh from my reaction when I let off the gas and looked at the speedo.

While I was sitting in the car waiting for the salesman to get a license plate I played with the sound system. I wanted to see if I could change the station without looking at a manual, or having to ask how. I was pleased to see that a direct entry option was available without having to rummage through too many menus. By the time the salesman returned I was cranking Metallica. I was very pleased with the sound even though I didn't fiddle with the EQ settings. It did take me a few seconds to figure out how to lower the HVAC fan though.

While I was in the passenger seat I tried to deflate the lumbar support, but wound up turning on the massaging seats. Now that's a feature I can do without.

If we decide to get the Explorer getting used to the shift knob will probably be the hardest part. Both starting off and ending the drive, I reached for a shifter handle on the console. Even though it has paddles, driving a performance vehicle without a "real" shifter is just odd to me. I would be in line to purchase an aftermarket pistol grip style shifter along with an appropriate console if someone produced one.

This vehicle would be replacing my wife's daily driver. She didn't come along for the initial test drive due to her being high risk for COVID :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick I think you would be surprised how easy it is to get used to the dial shifter. And when you end the drive, you don't need to touch it. Just hit the stop button and it goes into park. Doesn't get much easier.

Yeah Rick, the shifter knob is very easy to get used to. Several of us have moved from the handle type to the knob somewhere in the last few years so don't let that be a key deciding factor.

Once you have a sore back and a long drive ahead of you, you might re think those seat massagers.... My moms 18 has them and I had sciatica making it very hard for me to sit in a truck for long periods, those massagers made it WAY better (take mom to the airport)
Her 18 limited is very nice to drive, once you get used to the dash controls and steering wheel controls it all seems to make sense.

The one thing about the newer push button start rigs is keep the key ON YOU. Do not just toss the key in the center console.... because when you get out the truck will lock itself and with the key inside you = screwed
I did that at the car wash while spraying off her truck, luckily the spare key was only minutes away and I was able to have it delivered........

The one thing about the newer push button start rigs is keep the key ON YOU. Do not just toss the key in the center console.... because when you get out the truck will lock itself and with the key inside you = screwed
I did that at the car wash while spraying off her truck, luckily the spare key was only minutes away and I was able to have it delivered........

I was working under a friends truck when my phone rang. I didn't recognize the number so I let it go through. A few seconds later another call from the same number so I answered it. A guy asked me if I knew someone who owned a Lexus SUV. He said the woman dropped off her Lexus with their valet, but walked away with the key fob while the car was still running. As soon as he tried to park it, the car stopped.

Turned out the woman was my mom. 1st world problems. 🤣

If you leave the keys/fob inside, the doors won't lock unless you use another key or the Securicode keypad. The doors will automatically unlock otherwise if the key/fob is left inside.

Peter

I was working under a friends truck when my phone rang. I didn't recognize the number so I let it go through. A few seconds later another call from the same number so I answered it. A guy asked me if I knew someone who owned a Lexus SUV. He said the woman dropped off her Lexus with their valet, but walked away with the key fob while the car was still running. As soon as he tried to park it, the car stopped.

Turned out the woman was my mom. 1st world problems. 🤣
I believe with the Explorer you would be able to drive it without the keyfob but you won't be able to restart it.

Peter

We have looked at the new Explorers, but it looks like the previous body, only stepped on. Wife doesn't care for it. I do appreciate they went back to rear wheel drive, but I think if we were to buy something right now, we're leaning towards the F-pace or the new Mach-E. However, since I just paid off her '16 Explorer and it only has 50k on it, we plan to keep it quiet a bit longer.

well I took my moms 18 limited to the car wash, shut it off with the button, got out, washed the truck and went to get back in
Explorer was locked, I'm outside, keyfob inside had to have spare key driven to me

So the truck indeed did lock
Unless my dumbass hit the lock button somehow? or?
With the fob inside that sucker locked me out.
I was thinking "this is the dumbest thing I have ever seen" and "I love my 88"

well I took my moms 18 limited to the car wash, shut it off with the button, got out, washed the truck and went to get back in
Explorer was locked, I'm outside, keyfob inside had to have spare key driven to me

If your moms explorer has Intelligent Access I would guess you may have touched the lock button on the door handle. With my 2020 I have dropped it off for service and left a key in the cup holder without it locking. But that is about the only time the key leaves my pocket except to remote start it.

I believe with the Explorer you would be able to drive it without the keyfob but you won't be able to restart it.

Peter

With her Lexus the fob has to be within range of the car or the car will stop.

We have looked at the new Explorers, but it looks like the previous body, only stepped on. Wife doesn't care for it. I do appreciate they went back to rear wheel drive, but I think if we were to buy something right now, we're leaning towards the F-pace or the new Mach-E. However, since I just paid off her '16 Explorer and it only has 50k on it, we plan to keep it quiet a bit longer.

The Mach E has a ton of potential, but I would be scared to death to purchase a first year all electric from any manufacturer.

If your moms explorer has Intelligent Access I would guess you may have touched the lock button on the door handle. With my 2020 I have dropped it off for service and left a key in the cup holder without it locking. But that is about the only time the key leaves my pocket except to remote start it.
Even touching the door handle lock button shouldn't allow the doors to lock if the keyfob is inside. I tried all those things on a previous Explorer and the only way I could do it is with the Securicode keypad or a 2nd keyfob.

Peter

Even touching the door handle lock button shouldn't allow the doors to lock if the keyfob is inside. I tried all those things on a previous Explorer and the only way I could do it is with the Securicode keypad or a 2nd keyfob.

Peter
Well I guess I was wrong. Just tried it and Peter is correct. Right after I bought my ST I locked the key inside to see if the door could be opened. I must have locked the door using a different method at that time.

If you leave the keys/fob inside, the doors won't lock unless you use another key or the Securicode keypad. The doors will automatically unlock otherwise if the key/fob is left inside.

Peter
Exactly. still trying to figure out where the idea came from.

The Mach E has a ton of potential, but I would be scared to death to purchase a first year all electric from any manufacturer.

Not to mention a car companies first mass produced electric car. We would probably lease it anyway, for this very reason. Who knows.

She is still happy with her Explorer, which is win, because she is normally board with her car by now and wants something different.

The explorer locked because of the spray gun hitting the intelicode and it acted like you touched it with your fingers to lock the door. This happens all the time when I am hand washing it and spray the intelicode with my garden hose.

Has nothing to do with leaving it inside and closing the door.

And you can always use the code to get back in.

Thanks dudes I will get the keyless code from my mom and store it somewhere handy
I will also keep the dang FOB in my pocket, not in the console!!!

Proud owner of a late production 2020 ST. Waiting for it to be prepped. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back