I think I have a CV Joint bad need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I think I have a CV Joint bad need help

steve63933

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT 4X4 4.0L
I have a stock 2002 Explorer XLT 4 door 4X4. I have changed both rear and the front U Joints.

I also have the brown wire mod and it makes no difference if it's in straight 2wd or auto 4X4.

When I turn my Explorer to the left like taking off at a stop sign and turning left it feels like my rear passangers side tire is bouncing.

Turn the explorer to the right everything is fine.

Again this is just when I make a sharp turn or going around a curve fast.

The only time it will vibration is when I take off from a dead stop and turn the wheel slightly to the left or right I have a vibration but it I keep the wheel straight no vibration.

Any suggestions on if this is a CV Joint and if so which one or is it something else.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like rear diff is locking up. I bet you have a limited slip. There was a TSB on the 02-03 models because they had 80-90 in from the factory and it would "shudder" around light turns. I would drain it and refill 75-140 and at least 4 ounces of friction modifier. It will take a few days to work in after the change but should do the trick.

Sounds like rear diff is locking up. I bet you have a limited slip. There was a TSB on the 02-03 models because they had 80-90 in from the factory and it would "shudder" around light turns. I would drain it and refill 75-140 and at least 4 ounces of friction modifier. It will take a few days to work in after the change but should do the trick.

I done that about a year ago but I use Valvine full syn. limited slip 75-140. I didn't add any friction modifier because it said it was already in it.

Should I have added the extra friction modifier?

Yes I would. I run (2) 4oz bottles in my F150 to keep the L/S quiet. I put 1 4oz bottle in my 04 rear end when I rebuilt it and its still quiet.

I ended up adding a 4oz bottle to mine along with another pint of 75-140 Val. full synthec limited slip through the ABS sensor.

I read in another thread that you are suppost to fill it where it runs out the fill hole and put the fill plug back in and add another pint through the abs sensor hole.

I had a mech. friend that has access to the Ford service website and it said the rear end cap. is 5.75 pints , which would be almost 3 quarts if I still can convert right.

I know now that even if you put gear oil that has the limited slip friction additive you still need to add at least 4oz friction modifier.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Back