I think I need to replace my power steering pump? (Video) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I think I need to replace my power steering pump? (Video)

Im not selling it....im selling my 92.

So where should I buy one from?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So that is the 95 with the bad PS fluid? If so then it has a rack and pinion steering, and those don't last long if the fluid isn't perfect.

The aftermarket PS pumps do just fine, but the steering effort may be a hair harder. If it's no big deal to you, get the easy to buy pump you were planning on. Some people are very particular about having really easy steering. If that was you, then don't settle for anything but a Ford pump. That would mean finding a used pump, or a rebuilt Ford unit, maybe NAPA.

I'd worry most about the rack, get the bad fluid out of there now. Don't drive it at all with bad fluid in a rack and pinion vehicle. Those racks are very sensitive to any debris in the fluid. They aren't cheap or easy to change, so take really good care of the fluid. Definitely buy the Lube Gard additive when you finish replacing the parts. Put that in before topping off the fluid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LUBE...es?hash=item1df8190e2&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Alright, ill try to find a Ford pump, how much does a new one usually run?

The nearest Napa i know of is about 50 miles from here, can I order one off eBay or any online stores?

and again thanks for all the info, its helping me a ton

If you have to have the Ford part, don't bother with Ford, they cost too much. Do check on eBay, search for new "OEM Ford Explorer steering pump." It can take a long time that way, I'd gladly take a used one from a later truck. See if the last OHV 4.0 engines used the same pump, I think they did. Check with NAPA, they may rebuild actual Ford pumps.

You will need quite a bit of fluid, start by flushing it with the cheapest you find, the store brand stuff. What you flush it with isn't what you will end up in the PS, so don't waste money buying high dollar fluid to discard. I like the Valvoline synthetic or whatever they now call it for power steering fluid. It's basically clear, so when finished you can see that it is clean, or still contaminated.

Well what I was also thinking, is just swapping pumps from my 4.0 '92...
Think that would work?

Check on which PS pumps swap.

I've changed mine - on a 99 5.0L - and my suggestion is to MEASURE the distance the pulley is on the pump, and use some reference. The pulley is pressed on, and if you don't put it on the same distance, you will have issues with your belt coming off.

Right now, mine is like 3/8" too far backwards, so my belt actually hangs over the edge, but since its a nice grooved serp belt, it doesn't skip or jump. But I have a replacement handy. I've already done the belt once when I put a tensioner and idler pulley (my suspected squeaking). Got a parts store pump and all was good again (other than mentioned pulley alignment).

As far as putting PS fluid in it, I'm sure the engineers are a lil smarter than us that design the stuff....so I'll use what they say.

Yeah...im starting to have 2nd thoughts about replacing it :p

I wonder if I could just swap out my 92's when I sell it....

It was a rather easy job on my 99 5.0L. I had all the tools, it was just some mess from leaky fluid....and my mess up pressing the gear back on. When i get the urge to do it (or I need to change the belt again) I'll fix it and hope it doesn't squeal. It kinda did before, but I suspect it was from the misalignment.

Good luck, don't let something this 'small' bother you....just have your manuals in hand and some tools handy (and a back up set of wheels - just in case). ;)

Brian you have the press on pulley PS pump I believe. The other engines use a bolt on pulley, a much different pump also.

FYI, engineers do not right books, nor do they make manuals etc. The recommendations from Ford and those manuals were not for engineering reasons, I promise you it was political/costs/convenience. It is much easier for them to say use ATF because it exists everywhere and everyone has it. It keeps them from having to develop the PS fluid, and make you use it. Ford does sell PS fluid BTW.

The two fluids are similar, and each evidently passes PS system requirements. That is not good enough for me, I insist on using the best product possible when I can. The ATF is not the best fluid possible for power steering systems. Power steering fluid is the best possible fluid for power steering.

I don't want you to think I'm arguing with you CDW, but what makes PS fluid 'better' for PS than ATF ? You can even use brake fluid in you PS if you have to. (just not the other way around)

As far as press/bolt on pullies, I can't help on the year break, but just a pulley look-up (Rock Auto) netted me this:

DORMAN # 300009 (searching for 99 5.0L p/s pulley)
FORD EXPLORER(1996 - 2005)
FORD EXPLORER EDDIE BAUER(2006 - 2008)
FORD EXPLORER LIMITED(2006 - 2008)
FORD EXPLORER SPORT(2001 - 2003)
FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC(2001 - 2005)
FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC LIMITED(2007 - 2008)
FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC XLT(2007 - 2008)
FORD EXPLORER XLS 2006
FORD EXPLORER XLT(2006 - 2008)

They list a 99 5.0L p/s pump by ACDelco for $65 (no reservoir, $50 core on top) , and a Motorcraft for $143 ($40 core on top)
Motorcraft year break:
FORD EXPLORER (1996 - 2001)
MERCURY MOUNTAINEER (1997 - 2001)

I suggested that Brian check on his PS pump carefully, because it may or may not be the same as a 91-94 Explorer. Ford did not change the OHV engine arrangement much at all, so he may have a very easy PS pump to get.

The SOHC and 302 pumps are both similar, high dollar, and take the same bolt on pulley I believe. I have those in my trucks, I've gone through the process of getting those from Ford or rebuilt. I think the old press on PS pumps are stronger and better to have. These small PS pumps don't impress me, I have more steering effort than I'd like in my mail truck.

I think the fluid subject should be self explanatory, once you stop relying on a stranger who wrote a book or manual. The fluids were made for a specific use. I see no logic in assuming that transmission fluid would be better for power steering. That makes no sense to me. Why people are so insistent on assuming a book is smarter than experience or common sense also bothers me. Enough said, back to topic.

I was working on my x today and just idling in my drive way and i turned the wheel and noticed it was making a really loud ps noise.. so I turned the wheel the other way and it made a crazy loud ps noise and i noticed smoke coming out of the left side of my hood. I shut the car off and noticed a big black puddle under the mid left of my engine... does this sound like a hose broke or a ps broke? anyone have this happen?

I suggested that Brian check on his PS pump carefully, because it may or may not be the same as a 91-94 Explorer. Ford did not change the OHV engine arrangement much at all, so he may have a very easy PS pump to get.

The SOHC and 302 pumps are both similar, high dollar, and take the same bolt on pulley I believe. I have those in my trucks, I've gone through the process of getting those from Ford or rebuilt. I think the old press on PS pumps are stronger and better to have. These small PS pumps don't impress me, I have more steering effort than I'd like in my mail truck.

I think the fluid subject should be self explanatory, once you stop relying on a stranger who wrote a book or manual. The fluids were made for a specific use. I see no logic in assuming that transmission fluid would be better for power steering. That makes no sense to me. Why people are so insistent on assuming a book is smarter than experience or common sense also bothers me. Enough said, back to topic.

I agree on the fluid....thats one thing that ive always read on here, "use trans fluid, its way better!"

HOW!? Why would they make PS fluid specifically for PS pumps then??

Beats me....
I still have yet to get a pump, or order one....
Where can I get one thats rebuilt, or whatever you guys suggested?

I'm still with you on the fluids myself.....;)

As far as parts, besides the the one Ford specific site mentioned before, I can usually find 90% of what I need at www.rockauto.com.

Or hit up your local parts store, but look for your FoMoCo branded or A/C Delco or Motorcraft labeled parts.

Last place, is to hit the dealer (unless you have a friend that works there and can get it at their discount).

If the parts sources don't have a price or brand etc that you don't like, the salvage yard is the place to go. Most PS pumps last about as long as the truck, and at a yard they should be very cheap. If you do that just look one over before removing it. Most really clean looking parts in a wrecked vehicle are new or rebuilt. So try to find a Ford part before you take it out and read a label showing it's from China etc.

Well, I went to Napa today, the pump there is like 59.99$ with a 16$ core, its all black, on another thread theyre telling me its okay, thats just how they come.

I want to try to change out my fluid though before I drop an un-needed 60$ plus 2+ hours of my day trying todo something that ill most likely end up calling my buddy todo for me like i always have to.

I have a quart of PS fluid, and another smaller one I can flush it with, bought at Kmart today like 4$ a piece not even.

Flushing with fluid is a good idea at any time, that's the best maintenance that you can do. Plan to need the pump though, the symptoms were rough enough that it likely won't just be fixed. That isn't a bad price for a good pump.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea i flushed it last night with high hopes of the sound going away
but nothing.

So monday ill deff. be going to get that pump.

Back