• Register Today It's free!

I want a different engine.

tweakedlogic

Reaction score
City, State
memphis, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have been trying to figure this out for months now. I want lots of torque and good fuel economy. 25 MPG or better. My motor is tired and my transmission is all but dead.
I want a diesel. but Cummins isn't going to release their 4.2 liter until later this year at the earliest. Porsche and Land Rover have their 3.0, but I can't afford that and fitting a 5 speed 4x4 transmission I think will be impossible.
On with my question. I work for a dealership. I can have the buyers bid on any vehicle I ask (and pay) for. Rolled 05 Explorer for $600 some times.
This got me to thinking. I could have them buy a new Explorer and swap in the higher HP motor adn transmission. Or i could buy a different truck and get something better.
What cars should I research to see if they are what I'm looking for? It needs to have been produced 02 or later for me to have a chance it being at one of these auctions.
Like I said I want a v6 diesel, and 4x4 manual transmission possible. I have heard that the diesel in the Isuzu NPR can mate with some of fords trannys. i understand this was going to be offered in the F150 but something happened to pull the project. What about the Jeep Liberty Diesel? I would even consider an inline four as long as it has at least 180 HP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There was a wimpy I-4 diesel offered on some of the old rangers and mazda's, but nothing like what you are looking for. Your biggest and greatest issue is SPACE. The first gens, were, and are, not known for their roomy engine compartments. There was only one engine (OHV "Cologne" V6) offered and no need for interchangeability with other engines.

Not to say it hasn't been tried before. Some people have thrown in v8's, I4's and one guy who is dropping in a inline 6 out of a f-150.

Search for the Cummins 4BT. A few guys have dumped them in Bronco II's and I know one guy with one in a Dakota that's throwing down decent track times.

Other than that, good power/torque and 25 mpg is a combination not easily found. Buy a fullsize chey/dodge/ford and do the diesel thing... chip/intake/exhaust... run 13's, pull the trailer on the weekend, and get 25mpg on the highway... hard to beat...

This is a quote from the guys that built the Dakota with th 4BTA

"The truck is working awesome!!! I should have put the 4BT in sooner!!! I am making 206hp and 446ft/lbs torque AT THE REAR WHEELS. Boost is past 30psi and pyro doesn't go any higher then 1400. I blew the trany up a couple weeks ago. So now I got a fully built 47RH with a billet triple disk lockup conveter. I can tow my trailer at almost any speed I want. Keeping the speed sane I get 16-17mpg pulling my trailer, 20-21mpg driving around town, and 25-26mpg cruising down the highway. Oh, and I've managed to run a 15.09 at 88mph in the 1/4 mile. Plans for this winter, another turbo, bigger injectors, straighten my frame and box in the rear half of the frame. (I bent the frame sled pulling this summer.)"

Check out the forum he posted the build on HERE

I can't run through the trails I like in the Ozarks with a full size truck. I wanted a 4 door Tacoma, They even make them with a really nice diesel, just not in the US.
Go figure.

That's why I suggested the 4BT... Run your rig with that motor... That guy's pushing over 200HP and 446ft/lbs @ the wheels... that'd be a riot in an Ex...

You don't do a custom diesel swap on pennies...and if you're gonna go diesel, you may as well do it for power.

If you just want "budget" power, then the OP should get on one of these auctions, find a V8, stuff it in and roll with it...

I'm sure half the people on here piss away $10,000 a year on stuff a lot more useless than a smokin small diesel in their rig... Like Starbucks and McDick's...

budget is all relevant to priority...

200hp though isn't really a lot. I think a lot of 4 cylinders in hatch backs produce more then that.

200hp though isn't really a lot. I think a lot of 4 cylinders in hatch backs produce more then that.

Its not all about hp,they may have 200hp but only 80lb tq. 446 that's alot

Back