i want a v8 and im sick of the search button | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i want a v8 and im sick of the search button

pauley

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
hello my name is josh and i have a 1993 explorer auto 4x4 with a 4.0 i really want a v8 and i even more want to get rid of the stock explorer tranny i have searched and searched and read and read and all i can find is others with the same question as me and some one else telling them to use the search button and the thread goes dead so please help me give me the link, tell me how to do it, what i need, anything. i have a whole 1994 v8 ford f150 4x4 at my disposal i can use anything and every thing that i want. and the F150 has a 5.0
please help me my rig can bearly get down the road cause of the lack of power the 4.0 just cant handle the 33's with the lockers and the mud all at the same time unless my foot is on the floor. its either v8 or sell it for a damn chevy dont make me do that to my self please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would do the 5.0 swap but not for its "power" -- but for its greater support in aftermarket parts and transmissions.

There would be nothing to that swap, all you need to do is take everything out of the F-150 and put it in the Explorer -- i know this is oversimplified but thats really all there is to it. Start removing the radiator, and fenders (to make it easier) and start unbolting! You might need to fabricate some new mounts though but that shouldnt be too hard (transmission, etc..) .

But from the sound of things, you need to regear, unless you're already running 4.56s.

its 4.10s right now with a dana 60 in the front also i was wondering how i can figure out what rear end i have i heard it came with either or a 7.5 or 8.8 and i really hope its a 8.8 the tag is no longer on the pumpkin the real reason i want the v8 is the after market support and the beefey trans but looking at the size of the tranny in the f150 im afraid it wont fit under the xplorder also i wouldent be opposed to using my t case so which t case should i use the f150 or the xplorder is there any one with a write up on doing this with a 91 to 94 xplorder that i can read. thanks for the help by the way it sounds like i need a welder darn;)

Pics of this dana 60? Did you put it in yourself? What config (leaves, links, coils, c/o's...) ?

Understood...

and some one else telling them to use the search button and the thread goes dead

That irks me too... but,

its 4.10s right now with a dana 60 in the front also i was wondering how i can figure out what rear end i have i heard it came with either or a 7.5 or 8.8 and i really hope its a 8.8 the tag is no longer on the pumpkin the real reason i want the v8 is the after market support and the beefey trans but looking at the size of the tranny in the f150 im afraid it wont fit under the xplorder also i wouldent be opposed to using my t case so which t case should i use the f150 or the xplorder is there any one with a write up on doing this with a 91 to 94 xplorder that i can read. thanks for the help by the way it sounds like i need a welder darn;)

Sometimes people will do an entire write up of something they can't find, and then post it. It helps... but so this thread won't end up :roll: please continue with your project... I hope it turns out well, and if anyone else can add to this for you, that would be excellent. Good luck!:thumbsup:

IZ is right just start ripping stuff apart and swapping it in and out. If you're scared the trans won't fit get one from a 5.0 X or a Mustang since thats what alot of people use (not sure what trans that was). I'm guessing the 150 has an AODE trans or E40D which is mighty large but all it should take is a custom driveshaft. The transfer case might end up closer to the gas tank but i wouldn't think you'd have that big of a problem.

You are very lucky to have a donor vehicle. This wil save time and $$$$$$$$.
1) The intake manifold (upper) from the F150 will not fit under your hood unless you have a body lift and/or hood scoop. I'm almost certain the Holley upper for a Mustang will bolt down on the truck F150 lower manifold.

2) The E4OD is big, but again, if you have a body lift, you should be able to get it to fit fine.

3) Since you have a '93, the gas tank won't interfere with what choice you make for transfer case. I just finished the install of a BW1356 from a full size Bronco. I did have to move the tranny to the passenger side by 7/8" and had to slightly trim the frame on the driver side to make room for the t-case.
Since you have the donor truck there.....use it! You could, optionally get Advance Adapters transfer case adapter to use your stock t-case, but that is $500. Use the full size case which is stronger and all you'll have to do differently is shorten your rear driveshaft ($100) and get a '97+up F150 front shaft from a 4.6 and hybrid u-joint for front diff pinion.

Anything else, I'd be glad to help with info. I've tried some other combos and this seems to be most practical for me.

well thanks for all the input first off. second off i was doing a read up of some t case that is sick that someone used in there explorer and i really want to use that (ill find a model number later). as for motor mounts can i use f150 ones or can i buy some that are for this swap. also the front axle is coil springs it is out of a 1978 bronco and i did not do the switch my self. as soon as the weather gets above zero here i will get some pics of the brackets that were used and welded in. so any way back on topic it looks like im buying a truck (i have not got the donor truck yet because i have a couple to chose from). ill keep every one posted thanks.

Gotcha -- tis probably a D44 then, the Bronco's never really came with a D60.

that makes more since to me too but when i bought he told me it was a 60 and i belived him until i did some searching i kninda bought this thing on a whim i wasent looking for any thing like this at all but one test drive and i had to have it.

Aren't the D60's 8 lug? Wouldn't that give it away?

Yes but it can be converted quite easily (bolt ons)

wicked- i am looking into exactly what pauley is. altho my specs are slightly different. i read your mods and you have practically exactly what i am looking for. pauley i dont meen to steal your thread, but i think people would be more perturbed if i started another identical thread. so my ? is why did you pick the windsor as opposed to the 302? from what you said it sounds liek you converted to carb. why did you do that? i also want to put a manual t-case in my truck. (specs below)

basically i am asking why you picked the motor/trans/t-case you did as opposed to others (purely for research befor i dive in)

i have:
1992 explorer xlt
4.56 in d35 and ford 8.8
35in tires
auto t-case
A4LD trans

i want:

small block v8 (prolly carb'd)
manual t-case
manual trans

i should add: i have a donor vehicle thats a 84 cj7 with newly rebuilt T-5 trans, and has a manual t-case as well. what of this could i use if any or all

offer up any help
thanks
-chris

Dora,
I picked the 351 Windsor simply because not many others have done it. I wanted the challenge....and I got it.
It is EFI using Mustang computer with Edelbrock intake.
Would I do a 351 again NOOOOOOOO! Too much part shopping and too many different vehicles to use parts from. It is a nightmare to get replacement parts from the store to remember what part I need is from what vehicle.
You have a 3" body lift therefore you will have a head start. Some have said it is not needed but I don't see how. I folded over the body seem and I just have enough room to get in there to tighten the tranny to engine bolts.
I have gone with the full size truck stuff for ease of replaceability and strength. Last 4x4 outing in Sept. I killed my tranny (for the 4th time - AOD). Done getting it fixed. I now have the 4R70W that I can simply throw in another one in two hours instead of rebuilding the AOD(because of the AA adapter in it).
I seriously considered a manual back in September when my tranny went south but I added up all the extras I'd need to do the sway and felt this was more cost effective for me and auto is nice offroad for the hills and rocks.
With a stick you'll need clutch pedal assembly, slave, master cylinder, new clutch plate, flywheel, modify gearshift lever. If this is the way you want to go, do the ZF 5speed. Don't even think about a T5. That Jeep unit would need an adapter to mount to another V8 and it is very week for 4x4 use.
Trust me when I stress....Use fullsize truck stuff for your swap and it'll save you in the long run$$$$$$.

i am purchasing a body lift in the next few weeks i think (gotta see how deep the wallet is after some bills).

Be patient, Congress might be sending you a check soon.

thanks wicked. so would you then suggest a 302? would i still be looking into EFI? and im unfamiliar with the z05? if you could comment on it.. i would like to make it stick, and that donor vehicle would make it a lot easier to use the t5 and manual t-case. u def suggest against it? i've wheeled that jeep. i didnt really see anything wrong with it. but again im askin for advice. thanks

I notice alot of people wanting to do V8 swaps here, but have you guys considered a high output V6, like a 4.3L v6 or 4.3l I6, there is definetly not going to be a shortage of parts or stuff to mod on them because GM and Chrysler both use them, Jeeps have then, some Dakotas, and some Jimmys/Blazers and Envoys/Trail Blazers, but those are the only ones I could think of, iirc the 4.3L v6 is becoming more and more common in SUV's and Small Trucks.

The GM 4.3L is a good swap and probably has more grunt than the SOHC, but I wouldn't go through all the trouble involved for an Explorer - it would go great on a full tubular chassis (rock buggy, sand runner).

But some of us want to do the opposite -- a smaller block (lighter weight, shorter drivetrain, etc...) but at the same time more universal (larger after market base and transmission compatability).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ZF 5speed - Used in F150's & 250's
zf5speed.jpg

A 302 will be much easier to work with. You could use an Explorer oil pan (or Mustang), much easier fit all around.
I probably wouldn't be saying this if I hadn't already done a 351. But I've been there a done that. I proved to myself that a 351 CAN be done but costs alot more and more headaches to get done.

If you're in for a good challenge +$$$$$...do a 351
If you're into a moderate challenge with a little less $$$$$$$...do a 302
If you're into a slight challenge.....do a 4.0 SOHC
If you're into what I'd love to do next......DO A 4cyl diesel:D:eek:

Back