I want an all metal radiator! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want an all metal radiator!

G

geoph1986

Ok I've decided that I need to replace the rad in my X. I have a small leak at the upper trans cooler line. I was thinking of trying to repair this buy trying to tighten the cooler retaining nut, but I'm afraid I'll just make the leak worse.
I'm tired off these POS plastic & aluminum rads that are just crimped & glued together. Years ago I re-cored rads for a living in a rad shop and we wouldn't sell a plastic rad if there was a copper/brass one available.

So, I WANT AN ALL METAL RADIATOR! I just can't seem to find one. I can't afford an all aluminum one so that limits me to copper & brass. Has anyone swapped one into their X? Is it a complete custom fabbed rad, or are there cars or trucks that use a rad similar that would require only slight modification? I've built custom rads for people in the past, I just need something to get me going in the right direction.

Thanx in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my Ron Davis tig welded 2 core aluminum unit was $450 and started leaking at the headers after 3 months = SUCKS

I would stick with the $120 brand new OEM unit

Summit and Jegs are now selling all aluminum radiators, all diff sizes and hose patterns, you may look there! You will need to modify it to fit your truck though :)

$80 on eBay, incl shipping for a alum/plastic one. I've had good luck with eBay radiators and the prices are so cheap it's scary - $69 delivered for an all-brass Toyota Camry radiator. You won't find that at your local Pep Boys or Autozone.

Your truck is 14 years old, any radiator at that age could start leaking.

The plastic ones will be fine for another 15 years. If I were you though, I would try and tighten that line first just to see. Since you are planning on replacing it anyways you really don't have anything to lose.

The rad according to the receipts that came with the truck is only 2 years old. Currently, the leak is small enough that I can just keep adding coolant. It's been super cold here and I don't want to work outside unless I absolutely have to.

When I do replace the rad I would like to use a copper & brass set up. I know aluminum cools better, but I can repair brass & copper myself. Does anyone know if there's a company that makes bolt in copper/brass one?

I can't seem to find a copper/brass replacement. I don't have the money to buy an all aluminum, so I've looked at the different sites for an oe style replacement and I have some questions.
Some of them have the lower connection coming out 90 degrees from the tank (like the one in my X) and some have the lower connection pointing towards the ground (like a gen2 X). Are they all the same? Will I have to change the bottom hose if the one shipped has the connection pointing down?
Also, a friend of mine has a spare rad for his gen 2, and is willing to let me have it for free, will it work in on my X?

gen II radiator is completely different size and shape

If your leak is small you should try pinching theplastic side tanks to the aluminum core, usually this will seal them back up

It's not the crimps that hold the tank to the header, it's the retaining nut that holds the trans cooler in place.

Ah I see, its not a high pressure system for the trans cooler, try some JB weld to stop that leak.
I would un hook the trans line, clean and dry the fitting at the radiator, JB weld, let it sit 24 hours, then re-attach trans line..... JB weld can hold for years!!

it saved me from swapping 4.0L engines for over 4 years, cracked block at the oil pressure sender, it only failed after I tried to repair it again LOL

It also held one of my transmission bolts in place for 3 years, and recently it fixed a leak in my friends AC condensor when aluminum brazing didnt hold, JB weld did:)

JB weld holds my laptop together :)
I had a few keys that the retaining clips had broke, so I used JB weld and a Q-tip, used a dab on each one and it's been holding well for 6 months!

we need a JB weld thread, stuffs amazing
now its has competition too, that new amazing putty stuff is pretty cool as is the new aluma weld brazing rod stuff

My buddy's '85 Quadsport threw it's chain and broke a hole in the side of the motor. He glued it back togeather with JB. It held long after he sold it.

I can't afford an all aluminum one so that limits me to copper & brass.
I'm going to be running this all aluminum radiator made by PRC on a non-road-legal vehicle. I stole it from http://jrmotorsports.com/ for $199 + shipping, which is not AS expensive as other all aluminum radiators out there.

Only downside is the welds are not all TIG, I see some MIG on the side. But as long as it doesnt leak, I'm happy.
radiator.jpg

The biggest problem you'll find when trying to find an aftermarket radiator that will fit the stock location is the size -- the finned core by itself is about 24" tall by 21" wide. Most radiators out there will be 19" tall.

I don't see any transmission cooler line fittings on the aluminum radiator.
Well for my application, the trans cooler will be a separate unit (the in-out is also on the same side).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that new amazing putty stuff is pretty cool as is the new aluma weld brazing rod stuff

are you speaking of mighty putty?!?!?!?!

i'm hugely addicted to "as seen on tv" products. one day i'm going to own a house filled with things that cost 19.95 plus s&h..

Back