• Register Today It's free!

I want an electric fan

L.A.X

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer EB
I recently replaced my fan clutch and plastic fan blade with new parts from Autozone. The cooling system improved significantly. Fan had cracks plus I had also replaced the radiator and water pump. The fan is really loud at times when engine is under load or high rpm. Its really annoying. I want to go electric but I dont want to break the bank. Im looking for any easy, clean, efficient and cost effective install. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put an e-fan on mine and it sucked.

Not a cheapo either, burned up the motor after 45 days, and it never cooled well! AND saved me nothing in gas!

It's crushed, cut, stabbed, bludgeoned, jumped on, kicked, burned and buried.

Pissed! Just a little. $400 down the tube!

On the bright side I now have a 60 amp circuit on the left side.

For the excessive noise; I learned by accident that the 9 blade fan is much quieter.

(Part # was for 10 blade, box said 10 blade, 9 blade was in there!?) WTH?

So I put it on, works well and is much quieter. (maybe why the 10 blade is discontinued?)

Second, I went with the severe duty clutch, doesn't run as much / or at least not as much at full lock. Just a bit here and there on big hill climbs.

Now just because I had bad luck with the e-fan, doesn't mean they all suck.

You are going to be hearing from those who swear by them. Just not from me.

These suck FOR SURE! ===FF DYNAMICS===

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-EXPLOR...Parts_Accessories&hash=item258ab64b0e&vxp=mtr

I've also seen radiators with pre-mounted fans on them. I know there is some type of benefit from the belt not driving the fan. I just maximum cooling that runs quiet.

The fan that I purchased was the Dorman brand and its plastic. Is a metal fan better?

Do you already have the 9 blade fan?

Big difference. The 10 blade roared like a semi.

Ask yourself this question.

With fuel economy being a major selling point for cars and trucks since forever and e-fans being around since the 80's, why then did they put a clutch fan set-up on the Explorer?

The fan that I purchased was the Dorman brand and its plastic. Is a metal fan better?

Plastic is quieter and lighter. (uses less power to turn..)

Also if your fan is running all the time your clutch is probably shot.

Engaging at to low of a temp.

It was 95 here today and my fan only ran for 10 seconds after sitting at a light for 5 minutes. Once I get moving it never runs unless I pull a mountain grade.

And that's with the a/c on!

I have a 10 blade. Im gonna change it out. Thanks

I have a 10 blade. Im gonna change it out. Thanks

I'd go ahead and do the severe duty clutch too.

Summers come'n and the sever duty clutch just works better on the Ex.

I thought my clutch was ok, but just did it because it was the original and I didn't want to push my luck. Major improvement! No more constant fan runage... .

Oh, almost forgot:

The severe duty clutch will run full lock until it warms up on cold starts in the morning. I know, backwards and doesn't make sense. But it only takes a couple minutes till it cuts out.

Ask yourself this question.

With fuel economy being a major selling point for cars and trucks since forever and e-fans being around since the 80's, why then did they put a clutch fan set-up on the Explorer?

Who knows.. But they put them on newer vehicles.. Our 06 mustang with a 4.0 sohc has one and there is plenty of room to put a mechanical fan there..

I've had the Mark VIII fan on the Van for a couple years. I'd say there are only 10k miles on it but it has a bunch of idle time too..

Anyway, I can feel the difference between engine driven with server duty clutch and the electric fan. For around town, you aren't gaining much as the electric fan is pulling power so the alternator is putting a bigger load on it..

On the freeway though, the e-fan never turns on. I'm talking 105F outside heading down the freeway at 63mph.. The mechanical fan is at best spinning 20% of the shaft speed and even more if you use a severe duty clutch (like you need in the desert)..

I've also installed a few other Mark VIII fans in other vehicles and they all still have them..

Now, on a first gen explorer, it is a tight fit. I can't even say if I'm going to be able to fit a Mark VIII fan in there or if something smaller (contour) is going to move enough air.. However, since our explorer doesn't spend much time on the freeway and mileage isn't exactly a concern with our X I may not go there anyway..

~Mark

I have been using a "custom" franken-fan for the last year or so. I started with an e-fan from a late model Volvo turbo (not sure exact model, but probably a V70, V90,etc..). I cut the plastic shroud down, so that it would "nest" neatly inside the stock Ranger shroud, and I fiberglassed them together. When it was cured, I cleaned up any sharp edges, and sprayed it w/ rubberized undercoating. It bolts in place the same as the stock shroud. I then used a cheap adjustable fan controller from Autozone (about $15-$20) to control the fan. This fan sounds like a freakin' jet engine when it runs. It pulls more then enough air to cool the engine, even sitting in heavy city traffic, in brutal summer temps.

The downside is that you will need at least a 130amp alternator, as this thing pulls something like 30amps when it runs. Its fine going down the road, but at idle (sitting in traffic) and with the headlights on, it starts pulling down the battery. I have an underdrive crank pulley installed, with a 1.8" alt. pulley. W/o the UD crank pulley, it might not be a problem.

I did the UD pulley and the e-fan at the same time, so I can't say exactly which one did what, but the combination of the 2 resulted in a noticeable seat-of-the-pants increase in power/acceleration. I also have seen a consistent 2-3 mpg improvement in fuel economy.

E-fans, vs mechanical have been dyno tested by reputable magazines, in the past. They are proven to give you about a 10-15hp gain in rwhp. Also, your water pump will last longer, since the bearings are no longer subject to the stress of the mechanical fan hanging off it. You will also find it easier to work on the front of your motor w/o the clutch fan in the way. If you need even more room, the whole e-fan/shroud setup can be removed w/ an 8mm (or are they 10mm?) socket (2 small screws holding the top of the shroud), and disconnecting one electrical plug, in about 45sec-1min.

Yes, you can spend hundreds of dollars buying an aftermarket e-fan, or you can do it for under $100, with scavenged parts and little light fabrication. I spent more on the various relays,electrical connectors,etc... then anything else.

Dumb question

What is the fan blade called in the center behind the Radiator and in front of the engine? My fan blades are plastic and currently cracking. I have a 1992 ford explorer eddie bauer 4wd 4x4. Thanks for your help.

What is the fan blade called in the center behind the Radiator and in front of the engine? My fan blades are plastic and currently cracking. I have a 1992 ford explorer eddie bauer 4wd 4x4. Thanks for your help.

Not sure what you are asking.. What you described (and called) is the fan blade. The 9 blade (which is usually listed for vehicles with a/c) is DORMAN Part # 620112. The 10 blade Ford p/n is F3TZ-8600-C in case that is what you are looking for. The Ford part ain't cheap.

~Mark

Thanks Mark. Now my truck has A/C can I just go ahead and buy the 9 blade and it will fit and replace the one in their now.

Thanks Mark. Now my truck has A/C can I just go ahead and buy the 9 blade and it will fit and replace the one in their now.

Yes, but you might as well get a new fan clutch while you are in there as they do go bad over time..

If you are in Arizona or some other really hot place (105F+ temps) I would seriously consider a Hayden Severe duty clutch. The Fan will be noisy, it will hurt your mileage but it will keep things cool.

~Mark

Count me in as one of those that believe in e-fan. I went with what Aldive recommended. A little pricey but hasn't failed me yet in 4-5 years.

My plastic Dorman fan has done its job, just hate that big rig sound

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remember all that whining I did earlier about e-fans?

:rant: Guess what I went and did!

Stuffed a 10" pusher in front of the condenser to assist with better a/c performance at low speeds.

Taking advantage of the fan controls and relays from the previous failed engine cooling e-fan,, ,,e-junk.

Install took 1 hour. Nice!

Gained a 10 degree drop when sitting at traffic lights. Also Nice! Ice... ..

Stupid thing is loud though! But I like 56 degree air when it's 105 out-side.

Peek: Dang paint is really peel'n off that grill all of a sudden!
EFAN_zpsfdd9b698.jpg

Back