i want my nitrous back! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i want my nitrous back!

well, went out to "the track" with some friends last night. i raced a new Chevy SWB 5.3 with intake/exhaust and got my @ss handed to me. well, not really. he got me 1/2 a length at the end, and i stayed even with him until halfway. then he slowly started to pull on me. man i wish i still had my little shot cuz i would have hurt his feelings pretty bad. oh well. ive got a couple of hundred $$$ to go for the charger, and i'll be gettin that sucker on as fast as i can now. cant have those bowties out there runnin' on me.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still have my kit for sale ;)

1) Why are you selling it?

2) How much you askin?

1) I don't use it much
2) $500 (- about $60 worth of parts that are still in the truck)
* Everything new was $850-900, and it's only been used a handful of times.

yea, its gonna have to be powerdyne. not really crazy about them, but im never gonna run over 8psi so it should do ok. you can upgrade the head unit from the BD-11a street charger to the XB-1A race charger for $600 more if more boost is needed.

the good thing about the BD-11's is that you can rebuild them for around $100, and from what ive seen they are very easy to rebuild. i guess it would be nice to be able to rebuild one and not have to send it off somewere.

Originally posted by james t
yea, its gonna have to be powerdyne. not really crazy about them, but im never gonna run over 8psi so it should do ok. you can upgrade the head unit from the BD-11a street charger to the XB-1A race charger for $600 more if more boost is needed.

the good thing about the BD-11's is that you can rebuild them for around $100, and from what ive seen they are very easy to rebuild. i guess it would be nice to be able to rebuild one and not have to send it off somewere.
I'm not crazy about them either, too many problems, I love how they say their the most reliable on the market, yet more people have problems with Powerdyne chargers than any other unit. The guys that I have met that have them on Mustangs, basically hate them, they are cheap so thats why most people get them. Just be really careful with it, definitley wouldn't run more than 8psi, should be ok below that amount on the 5.0

doesnt use any oil. the BD-11 is internal belt drive. the upgraded XB-1A uses an oil line from pan.

powerdyne has for the most part, gotten rid of the early BD-11 problems. as long as you never try and "pulley" it over 8 psi, and never race alot back-to-back (give it time to cool down between runs) it will be ok. and like i said, you can rebuild it in under an hour for $100. it is a street charger and never really was meant for racing.

What about Vortec, have you looked at theirs? Probably the best built centrifugal charger made today. Considering I've seen 6 Mustangs blow their engines or the charger itself at the track (using Powerdyne) I personnaly wouldn't do it, have yet to see a Mustang running another charger and blow there. Still am very lossed as too why they say they are the most reliable yet have the most problems:confused:

But like you said, it's only about $100 for a rebuild and your not going to run over 8psi....so...

notice, you said "at the track". it is not a race charger, and cannot deal with the continous heat that one would experience at the track. it just needs time to cool off between EVERY run. i bet most of the ones you saw out there were making passes back-to-back. it just wont take long term runs to 8 lbs.

Originally posted by james t
notice, you said "at the track". it is not a race charger, and cannot deal with the continous heat that one would experience at the track. it just needs time to cool off between EVERY run. i bet most of the ones you saw out there were making passes back-to-back. it just wont take long term runs to 8 lbs.
I know the internal belt drive was the main problem people had with the charger, but would that make a big enough difference to blow it?

I know it's basically a street charger, thats why I just couldn't figure out why these guys with Mustangs were running the Powerdyne at the track. But still, the guys that have had them on Stangnet and Corral and drove on the street and saw the track maybe a few times had a lot of problems with it, you'll see a lot of them went to vortec or saleen ect. But they probably drove the stang harder on the street than you will probably be driving you Ex on the street so that might have made a difference.

Does MagnaCharger make one that fits the 5.0 Explorer? I saw one istalled on an F-150 and he gained enough to embaress a Lightning.

the only charger available for the 5.0 explorer is the powerdyne. there is a waiting list at EE on the eatons, but other than that, thats it. basically, its powerdyne or nothing. like i said, you can always upgrade to the XB-1A when you order the kit...

bahhh, Eatons, not enough power for the money. I'm going to really happy once I get the KenneBell Twin-Screw on the 02' Mounty. About 390hp at the flywheel and a little over 400ftlb-tq with no other mods. Get some cams in there, exhaust, intake, headers... one damn fast truck.

Blk Mk8 and Troll live about a half-hour from me so I'm gonna have them do any work on the Mounty, I trust them a hell of a lot more than anyother shop. Just taking longer than I thought to find an 02' 4.6 Mounty with the luxury package in Mineral Grey, if we can't find that color I'll stick with Silver or Black.

Hey James i should be getting my xb-1a kit here by the end of the year. i have a couple other things i am going to put on too like no2 and other go-alongs. i am basically going the same route you are and instead of getting the 347 first since i cannot afford to get it and make it running the way i want to i will just get the s/c no2 and a few other things now and wait till a little while later to get the 347 in. hehe kind of breaks my heart to say that but i got to face the facts, that i just have to wait a little longer for it. oh well i can still have alot of fun till then. by the way are you running any kind of aftermarket cam in that thing?

XB-1A upgrades????

hey has anyone seen any price lower than $3885 for the Powerdyne XB-1A upgraded explorer kit. The only place i found anything that let me upgrade was through www.superchargersonline.com. But if anyone knows of a place cheaper than that i am all ears.

rocket- no aftermarket cam in there at this time. i have a CompCams blower cam, just havent put it in yet. waiting for other things.;) anyplace that sells the powerdyne should be able to get the XB-1A, but i also have never seen a sight other than superchargersonline that would let you upgrade. prolly gotta call.

What chargers are available for the 4.0 OHV? just eaton?

Vortech/Paxton also, but I don't know if the kits are still being made.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you know the comparative specs on those?

Back