I want to open my tailgate with my foot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want to open my tailgate with my foot

maxXxpowers

Reaction score
City, State
Petaluma, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
Is it possible to convert the escape switch to work with my explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure of the technical part of it, but it's just a wire hidden in the bumper. It is very handy. You have to have the power lift Gate option though.

I'm interested in this as well. Anybody have any info?

I have a Power Gate, Is the wire already in the bumper? I don't need the same switch as the escape, I would be happy with any button under the bumper I could push with my foot.

Are you guys talking about it sensing motion to open the rear gate. That is an intelligent access feature. Not going to be able to add that.

Can I just add a button under my bumper that I can push with my foot that is attached to one of the buttons inside?

Can I just add a button under my bumper that I can push with my foot that is attached to one of the buttons inside?

How does your liftgate presently function?

I push a button on the gate and it opens electronically.

I push a button on the gate and it opens electronically.

Its the manual liftgate though correct, not the power liftgate?

Just saw its the power liftgate.

The vehicle would have to be unlocked for you to have a switch in the bumper to work. That means you are going to have to get your FOB out anyway. Kinda defeats the purpose unless you would actually have plans of using it when the vehicle has been left unlocked? If so you could install a momentary switch that is in parallel to the soft touch button on the outside of the liftgate itself.

I think my solution will be a waterproof momentary switch mounted under the bumper run in parallel with the button on the back gate. I will then get an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry installed that unlocks the car upon approach and locks when I walk away. The downside is that that button does not close the gate. So if my hands are full leaving the car I still need to put my stuff down to close it.

I thought about running the wires to the button inside (drivers console) which would open or close the door, but it would work whether the car was unlocked or locked. So obviously that got ruled out for security purposes.

I may need to do a second button next to the first dedicated to closing the hatch if I find that I regularly need it.

I will let you know what I find in the way of aftermarket alarms. I wouldn't mind push button start as well.

Back